Fastrak vs. MiniZ/SuperMiniZ BTS

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by sjz60, May 29, 2003.

1. sjz60

sjz60 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a 20/52 Fastrack, wanted to see if there is an easy way to increase blade tip speed (within reason), to help improve cut quality. It has been really tough here in the Northeast this spring! Lots of rain and tremendous spring growth. I am looking for any way to help my situation and minimize the need to double cut.

So far I have:

1) Cleaned deck thoroughly and applied Mo-deck..helped.
    2) Took off Gator Blades and started running doubles (Hustler Fastrack Hi lift on bottom, stock Fastrack blade on top). Helped alot more!! Deck staying very clean at this point, clippings are much less than with gators. No noticeable loss of power as long as I stay with 1/3 rule.
    3) Checked engine speed. Running around 3475 rpm max when wide open, no load.

Can I switch the clutch pulley to a different size? Is the MiniZ/SuperMiniZ pulley for the 20HP honda the same on these two mowers? Interchange?

How about increase in engine rpm (again within reason..say to 3800-4000)?

Please advise.

PS: My Fastrak is already embarrassing my neighbors Toro Timecutter...How do I know? I watched him RAKE his yard tonite after he cut with it. Fastrack was already washed up and in the shed, taking a 4 day rest. Great Mower.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The clutch pulley on the FasTrak's are a part of the clutch, they are assembled by the mfg, Warner, they are not a item I would attempt to mess with.

As for engine speed, you do not want to adjust it beyond the spec, due to the speed you are turning the hydro pumps.
    I dont have the spec with me, I will look into this tomorrow and let you know what the guys in service have to say.

Later
    Pj

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The engine rpms have to be set at 3450
    Our service department has sent you a e-mail also.

Hope this helps
    Pj

4. dippyduck

dippyduck LawnSite Member

What is the 1/3rd rule?

Also did you consider exchanging your Fastrack pulleys with those from a Mini Z to increase blade tip speed?

5. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

I have a 18/44 and have found the right side blade near the chute is leaving a high strip, even the wife noticed! I am currently running gator blades alone. To run the doubles did you use a longer bolt? Were you not happy with the performance of the gators? I love the mower but the neighbors $800 Craftsman is leaving a better cut at this point. The blades are sharp and I have been mowing slow, slower than I think I should have to. Any way to check the blade speed to ensure something isnt slipping or thoughts about what may be causing this issue? I have been cutting every 2-3 days since it has been so wet in the NE.

Thanks,
    Steve

6. sjz60

sjz60 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I wasn't too crazy about the single gators..especially in the wet! I think the gators work better in drier conditions. I did not go with a longer bolt, although it is a good idea. I use an air impact gun set to 90 ft-lbs to re-torque the blades on, and they have never moved on me.

I also run the pulleys from the mini-z, which will increase bts a little bit, and this has helped too. My main problem now is keeping the clippings out of the beds, as this thing throws grass big time..it has to be going 20' in some instances! best blade combo with this set up is a high lift on the bottom with a standard fastrack blade on top, although a gator on top isnt bad either as long as its not too wet.

Do you have a bent blade? are you missing a strip of grass, or is the deck packing and leaving a 'trail' behind? I have noticed that if my deck gets really clogged up (wet grass)..it starts to lose cutting performance dramatically, and will leave lots of grass laying on the top.

The best thing I can tell you in the wet stuff, is to cut it high, use the 1/3 rule, and if it lays on top, go back over the lawn with the deck moved up 1/4-1/2" higher than where you had it set to cut (at 90 degrees)..this helps to minimize the clippings left behind.

7. dippyduck

dippyduck LawnSite Member

How hard was it to replace the spindle pulleys? Did you have to remove the deck to do this? How much time did it take you to make the exchange?

8. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Pulleys are easy to change. The deck doesnt have to be removed but the center spindle may be harder to change becuase of the center pan.The center bolt must be remove. Install a wooden block between the blade and the deck to hold it still. Remove the pulley withe some slight effert. Neverseeze the pulley and shaft.If the grass sparys to far on the flowers you may want to get a Quickchute discharge blocker made just for this. You can change frome full discharge to mulch in seconds.

9. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

I dont have a bent blade, its more like there isnt enough suction to lift the grass up on the chute side to cut that section clean and level. I am mowing at 3.5 inches, could it be a combination of mowing at 3.5 inches, the other blades discharge and running gators isnt enough to pull the grass up. Are gators not known for their ability to stand up the grass? I wonder how it compares to the factory or high lift blades.

Steve

10. sjz60

sjz60 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

spindle change was cheap, simple, and quick-especially if you have an air impact gun..I spun the nuts off the pulleys in seconds with no need to hold back on the blade. You do not have to remove the deck, only the guards on the outside ends of the deck that hide the pulleys..30 minutes or less.