Fastrak wheel pump/motor failure

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ronfrish, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ronfrish

ronfrish LawnSite Member

The right side wheel pump or motor failed on my 2004 Fastrak while I was mowing yesterday. Less than 70 hours on the meter. The symptom is no reverse, and barely any forward with lever pushed all the way forward. Left side seems fine.

I checked this forum and failures seem to be few, so is there anything that I should check before driving 70 miles back to the dealer? Could something come loose in the linkage and cause this?

Also, there is now a new dealer listed that is only 30 miles from me and much easier to get to. Do I have to take the unit back to the original dealer for warranty service, or can I go to the new, much closer, dealer?

And one more thing. Any suggestions on how to get it up onto the trailer with one bad wheel?

P.S. I still love my Fastrak and hope it's back in action quickly!
  2. homemower

homemower LawnSite Member
    from Ray,Mi

First lift the seat and look down in the front of the drivemotor housing if the
    variable valve linkage is still on. It is held on by a 3/8 elastic nut. Compare one side to the other move the leaver and you will see it move, If it still attached you have a problem. the back of the tractor there is a small lever pull both sides out and slide them sideways that will lock out the tractor drive-motor and it will move freely. One is hidden slightly down and behind the muffler if you have a Honda.
  3. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your pump problem, I would suggest a come-a-long as the cheapest way to pull your Fastrak up onto your trailer.
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

A dealer needs to check out the unit, could be linkage, or the drive release.
    Call your closer dealer and talk to them, let them know you bought it from another dealer, and see what they will do to help you.
    The only safe way to get the unit back on a trailer would be to release the drives and push or tow it on to the trailer.

5. ronfrish

ronfrish LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I did try pulling the bypass releases out and pushing it, but forget about that. Way too heavy. However, once I put the bypass releases back into the drive position(all the way in), the right motor started to work again. It seemed just a tad slower than the left motor, but also was making a very loud whinning noise, like it was under a lot of strain. The left hand motor made no noise under the same conditions.

The good news is, I'm hoping it'll work long enough to get it onto the trailer.

My SN is: 03067341
    Could this be old enough to have had the defective paper filter issues?

I'll call the closer dealer and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the advice!
  6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It could be, have the dealer look into whether or not the filter has been changed.