1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fastrak Z Caster Wheels Coming Off

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by masch, Aug 30, 2004.

1. masch

masch LawnSite Member

I bought a new 18/44 FZ earlier this spring and I love the way it cuts. I'm running doubles with a set of Gators over the stock blades and have had no problems with clumps or missed cuts. Thinking about a mulch kit for the fall leaves but I think I'll wait and see how it handles my leaves (I live in the middle of a woods).

Here is my problem. The last two times I've mowed I've had one of the front caster tires break the tire bead and go flat. Get this, once on the left and once on the right. After the first time, I remounted the tire and made sure both were inflated to 9 psi and continued mowing. The next time I mowed, it happened almost immediately after I started mowing. I was mowing around a tree trunk on level ground and I looked down and the tire was flopping around on the rim. After I remounted that tire, I put 15 psi in each and I didn't see the problem again as I finished that mowing session.

Any similar problems - any ideas?

2. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

I think you need to put in tubes in your tires
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, that'll do it. I've also had good luck using 3M spray contact adhesive on the tire and rim.
    The real problem is you really can't stop the mower straight ahead and just back up, with low tire pressure.
    With experience, you should turn the mower ever so slightly just before you stop the machine to "**** the tires a bit," so they spin around easliy when you reverse.