Fastrak

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rhong, Jun 29, 2004.

1. rhong

rhong LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Looking to buy a ZTR mower for my home. Being new to all this technology it can get very confusing. I've been studying the Hustler Fastrak and Mini Fastrak 42" - 52", Dixie Chopper and Gravely models of similar size. All seem to be built a cut above the normal residencial/entry level mowers. A dealer yesterday told me the weakest part of these model ZTRs will be the drive drain. That most commercial level ZTRs have individual pumps etc., and therfore they are much more reliable.

I mow app. 1.5 acres, of mostely flat lawn, with numerous flower beds, but not many trees so even he said it would take many years for me to wear the drives out on any of these ZTRs. BUT, he said that eXMark has a model that with manufacturers rebate will be priced at $5100 and it is truely a commerical grade mower.

That's cheaper than the larger model FasTrak's. How do they compare? Is the drive train really inferior? if so is it something I should even worry about? Looking for info to help me make a decision.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The drives we use in the FasTrak are perfect for that application, home use.
    They are a upgraded Hydrogear IZT, these units have a charge pump in them just like the pumps do in other drives, on other brands of mowers.
    We have had very few problems with them since we started using this upgraded version.
    The 20/52 FasTrak is a Honda powered unit and had a MSRP of $5599.00, it is on a retail promo price until the end of July for $4899.00 at participating dealers.
    The Honda engine is standard on that model and better than the engines offered on the Lazer CT.
    The FasTrak also comes with more features than the CT.
    Check them out against each other feature for feature and also demo both, I believe you will find the Hustler to come out on top.

Pj

3. rhong

rhong LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Mowerconsultant - If I go with the FasTrak with the 52" deck, do you think the 18hp Honda is enough motor for my application or would I be better going with the 20hp motor. I will be putting a mulching kit on and my lawn is about 50- 50 Zosia and bermuda grass.

My local dealer thought the 16 hp honda was plenty to run the 44" deck, but 2 hp to cut an additional 8 " seems like it might be pushing it.

Based on many of the threads I've been reading I think the 52" is the way to go. I have numerous flower beds to trim around, with some tight turns and I have app 300' of drainage ditch that I mow up against, the extra overhang will realy help trimming it.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 52" is a good choice, in fact in the FasTrak model line up it is the #1 seller, in particular the 20/52.
    If mulching I would suggest the 20hp, it is going to give you that extra hp you need to mulch thick heavy grass.

Pj

5. 696

696 LawnSite Member

I tried a 18/52 and the 20/52, I could tell a difference. Bought my 20/52 yesterday w/ the gator blades and couldn't be happier. Yes, it's a few extra $$ but a year from now you won't be wishing you would have got 20 horse.

6. rhong

rhong LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

My 20/52 was delivered Wed afternoon.

It's rained everyday down here for the past 2 weeks and my grass was 4" to 6" high. The rain let up to just a drizle yesterday afternoon, so I just had to try it out. The 20hp never even breathed hard. I'm very pleased.

Tell me about the "gator" blades? I didn't ask what they put on mine, but I'm sure they are just stock blades.

7. 696

696 LawnSite Member

They are mulching blades. The cutting side looks the same but the rear is turned up and has "teeth" to cut the grass up. Go to your dealer and ask for them and you'll see a little alligator on them. They cost around $30. My stock blades are still wrapped up.