Fasttrac Z - Replacing Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by g_gunter, Apr 12, 2008.

1. g_gunter

g_gunter LawnSite Member

It may be a silly question but I started to go about changing the spark plugs on my Fastrac Z (20 HP Honda) and realized that the right spark plug is up close to the frame of the mower. I cannot get a socket and rachet in due to the tight confines between the plug and frame. How in the world does one go about changing the right spark plug on these things?

Thanks,

g_gunter

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is a tight fit, but it can be done.
    I use a spark plug socket with a short extension, I put the socket on the spark plug first, then the extension then the ratchet, this will work.

Pj

3. wrightg4

wrightg4 LawnSite Member

I've had the same concerns on my 18 hp Honda. I've managed to remove and replace the sparkplug, but how do you get a torque wrench in there to properly tighten the plug? I don't trust my sense of feel sufficiently to just guess at it, particularly in an aluminum head.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Its tight, but can be done, I have done it numerous times.

5. JCR1709

JCR1709 LawnSite Member

I posted the same concern some time ago with the 20 HP Honda on the FasTrak. The first time I tried changing the plug on that side I got frustrated and eventually thought I stripped the threads, thankfully did not. Looking through the spark plug sockets, there are different lengths and I used the smallest in combination with a stubby ratchet. Lifting the seat up gives more access and light also. I've managed to hand thread the plug in to start then finish it until snug with the socket/stubby. Indeed it can be done, just take your time and have patience. I've learned to deal with it. Otherwise, awesome machine, hope to get 20 years or more out of for my two acres.

6. g_gunter

g_gunter LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. I'll try and get additional tools to make it work.

g_gunter