fat

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Toy2, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey folks,

Having an issue with my 36 Toro, this year I fired it up and mowed some yards, then attached the sulky.....and boom, it would not pull me for $%#@!!!! When I stepped off of it it would take off, then step on it to finish the job....I checked everything the book says, and did some adjustments and still its the same....any quick fixes?????

Or am I too fat this year?????The Toro is an 05 and I weigh 180?????Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I will assume this is a gear drive unit ? You didn't mention what you made adjustments to but did you check the trans drive belt underneath the unit for wear/cracks/glazing or looseness ?

When it stops moving does the axle shafts on each side of the trans make any noise/continue to spin ?

This may be a sign you need Jenny Craig.....:laugh:

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I just HAD to chime in on this one. 180 is NOT too much for it. I'm at 235 NOW and my little 12 hp Briggs on my 32 Bob-Cat has pulled me fine before I lost a lot of weight. Granted, it won't pull me up a hill like my hydro Scag will but that's because the belts slip under that much pressure. If it were a hydro, it would pull me AND cut grass.
    Heck, my buddy Richard has one of those Lesco rideon spreaders and it only has a 6.5 kaw I think.
    If I were to take a wild guess, I'd guess your drive belt to the trans is slipping. Tony

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If the transmission belt under the deck is bad enough, adjustment won't help. A new belt worked for mine and I'm almost 200 and using the self-steer Toro sulky that weights quite a bit.

5. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Tran belt no need for a wrench just hit it with a hammer and chissell on top to tighten and it will pulll your a-- right along!!

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If your machine is like most belt drive machines, with a Preeless 4 or 5 speed trans....If tightening or replacing the trans belt under the engine deck has solved your problem, great ! If not...Check the two belts going to the drive tires, if they are old or starting to come apart, replace them.
    Now, before you do replace them, look at the drive pulleys coming off the trans. These pulleys take alot of wear from the belts ( The belt stops when you pull on the handle, but the trans keeps on turning ) and a groove will develop so that the belt will sit on top of the center rib on the double pulley, so the the meat of the belt will not contact the V part of the pulley. If you have not replace them or the belts before, then more then likely this is your problem. It's an easy fix you can do yourself.
    Let us know what you find :drinkup:

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering, If you go to your tool box for a hammer and chisel why not grab two wrenches ?

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Trim-spa baby////LOL.......Its belt driven, no noise, everything else works fine, the adjustment was made per Toro handbook to the beltdrive,/spring-
    1st slot to 2nd slot. No change, will run like heck on flat ground, but a minor ant hill and it can't pull!!!!
    I have not changed belts since new, so I guess its time for all new ones.....thanks

9. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Tranny belt probably needs replacing if not done yearly sorry I just assumed, but yeah replace belts yearly if not more. Make sure pulleys are good(no grooves from slipping). Your'e right restro

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You know, those wheel pulleys take quite a bit of abuse from jumping curbs and such. I can't tell you how many times I've had to get the vice grips out and try to make them straight. I replaced a couple in the beginning but, with the small tires on most geardrives, the curbs kept getting them so I decided to fix them as best I could. Somewhere you have a belt slipping I'm sure.