1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Faucet on mainline? Ya or Na

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LawnMedic904, Dec 3, 2007.

1. LawnMedic904

LawnMedic904 LawnSite Member

Need some advise.
    I have a HO that wants me to install a frost-free faucet on the mainline that we are extending to expand his current system. We are going to put a 2 zone / 8 head expansion around a play area behind his property that we just finished installing a metal fence around. He has a 3/4 poly system in place, and the meter is about 200' away with about 15' elevation between the meter and new zone. Now typically I would never ever consider this, but with the type of ground we are dealing with and the distance to run an independent service line just for a faucet has given me pause. What are your thoughts? Remember, i'm still a rookie would like any advice.

we are going to remove the gravel and place sod around the perimeter of the wall. Sorry this is the only pic I have.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see any problem. If you need to protect from freezing and don't blow out your systems, allow for the riser to be drained to a point below ground.
  3. Wouldn't pass inspection if that was done here and the inspector knew about it. Having said that I see it done all the time. might want to check code if you are squeamish about it. My 2cents.
  4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would it not pass inspection if it were pass the backflow.
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Same question, or if it had a VB on the hose bib?
  6. I'll ask my buddy who installs. He explained it to me once. I remember it being valid.
  7. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

you would have to remove the double check and install a RPZ (high hazard), because a second sourse of cross-connection! from my inspection days. its would be like using lake or creek water for your irrigation system and you were also using city water, we would require a RPZ at the meter, because of second sourse of water. i am refering to USC plumbing codes.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting problem, if you want to combine all the ways that code officials might look at it. On a farm, any code official trying to tell the owner they can't have yard hydrants is likely to be invited to FOAD. How this translates to a residence, I don't know. If you do have toxic-rated backflow in place, anything downstream of it is immaterial, according to officials that don't want to be bothered by trivialities.

Technically speaking, the best install of a yard hydrant is with heavy NSF poly below the frost line, with a self-draining hydrant to feed the hose. On an existing system, you can dumb it down a bit, but still keeping the NSF poly (if you're in a poly-pipe system)
  9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I installed two on a small (5 drip zones) install job I was doing yesterday. Both are after the RPP and uphill from it.

BTW, what does RPZ stand for? RPP = Reduced Pressure Principle device, and that's the way I learned it back when I got a backflow certificate. Have they changed the name? Or is it a different animal?

One more thing, has anyone tried this newer model from Zurn-Wilkins? It's compact and removable in about 5 seconds to prevent freezing.

Attached Files:

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

RPZ = Reduced Pressure Zone (a 'contraction' of the more formal Reduced Pressure Principle Backflow Prevention Assembly)