Faulty Gas Cap

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by colembo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. colembo

colembo LawnSite Member

I am new to the forum and hoping someone can advise if there are any open problems with gas caps on the FasTrak 48 mowers. I was mowing the grass and the cap came off the left side tank. I found on the ground replaced and assumed I didn't have it on tight. Approximately 2 cuttings later the same cap fell off and landed on the muffler where I noticed when I shut down at which point it was partially melted and trash. Went back to my dealer and asked if there were any recalls. Told none they knew of and they sold me another cap. I placed the new left cap on and tightened hard, I wasn't going to have that problem again. Next cutting the new left cap came off. This can't be coincidence. Any suggestions for help

2. wblack

wblack LawnSite Member

I have the 2008 SD Fast track. The left side cap came off once...ever since I've been making sure to tighten it after each fill up. No problem since.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not aware of any problems with fuel tank caps.
    I would immediately get the unit to your dealer to get it inspected, this could be a fire hazard and safety comes first.

Pj

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

2 faulty caps! Sounds more like the tank!

5. jimceez

jimceez LawnSite Member
    from PA

pj,

It's happened to me a couple of times as well. Is there a chain of some sort to keep them from falling off?

Thanks.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

No there is not.
    If tightening them up doesn't do the trick then you need to look at the tank threads.

Pj

7. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Are you rubbing against trees or brush?

8. jimceez

jimceez LawnSite Member
    from PA

b&g,

Yes, I am rubbing against trees & bushes which I'm sure contributes to the caps loosening a lot. That's why I asked about a chain or a way to secure the caps.

I don't feel it has anything to do with build quality. I'll just rig something up on my own.

Thanks!