Faulty PGP's lately

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone else been getting a few faulty PGP's every so many cases?

It seems like I've been finding ones with bad seals, missing or reversed arc adjustment, and ones that won't rotate.

At least I've been catching them as I install.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've ran into a few that the arc won't adjust. I just figured it's par for the course to have a few give you trouble every now and then.

3. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

I'm finding tons of dead 5000s. Freshly installed, failure rate of up to 10% in some places. It used to be only when there was a lot of pressure, because the installers would try to adjust them improperly and strip out the internals, but I've had them installing them just like Hunters this whole year (loose on the fitting and roughly aligned.) I'm considering going back to Hunter rotors even though the rain curtain nozzles are awesome.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had awesome luck with RB rotors...I stick with what works for me.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Seems like the number the Hunter rep quoted was <5% failure. And we are supposed to love that because any industry would kill for a <5% failure rate. 5%=1 bad head / case.
    In reality, I don't think any of them do that much better than the other, RB, Hunter, Irritrol....... Your going to see a few when your finished w/ 5 cases (100 heads) If you only see 1, figure your due. See more than 5 and you know it's goig to get better (someday, just not tomorrow). If it gets to the point your finding one or more in every box........It's either time to whine about how they are killing a very good customer, or you need to re-evaluate your choice in equip.

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

The TX guys will appreciate this. It was either late summer or fall of '95 and I was working for Jay @ "A New Deal" down in DFW. The hunter rep was paying for a BBQ and this issue was brought up. He was bragging about that <5% and Jay told him <1% would be better. He then asked the poor guy "how much rat sh*t do you like in your bread? We're real partial to 0% failure around here."