Faux rocks..Anyone installing them?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by IHI, Mar 7, 2007.

1. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

Is anyone installing faux rocks? If so, what's the pros/cons of them?

2. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

Con they don't look as natural as the real thing. Pro 2 Men can handle them opposed to a bobcat. Con they may crack or chip off exposing the mesh underneath. Con Expensive Pro You can find many different colours and shapes. JM2Cents

3. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

Pro you can hide bodies underthem. Con if it is in a area with traffic kiss it good bye if it is hit.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Using them for what? Walls? Water Features? general decor in a landscape?

We use them quite a lot for rock bubbler fountains. There are several companies in our area who manufacture hollow-core rock bubblers made of colored, molded concrete on the outside, and foam on the inside. They look and feel just like regular REAL rock bubbler fountains, but weigh 1/3 what a normal rock bubbler would weigh, making it easy to install with 2 guys instead of a big bobcat.

We've also used some similar products in water features as well when it wasn't possible to get an authentic rock into a certain place. For instance, a few of the rocks in this picture are not real, but most people would never be able to tell which ones;

http://www.lewislandscape.com/photos/gallery/Water-Features/aaa

5. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

General decor.
    I have a friend that is now manufacturing them and boy they look good, especially when they don't require a skid or ? to move them around.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We have used them in the past for hiding unsightly utility boxes. A tad on the pricy side unless theres a specific reason for them IMO. :)

7. MILSINC

MILSINC LawnSite Member

I use them to hide septic cleanouts in the landscape.. a company in my area manufactures some really nice virtual boulders, and they blend perfectly when you install fieldstone walls/ flagstone near the area.