favorable mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Commonwealth LC, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Commonwealth LC

Commonwealth LC LawnSite Member

Are pine needles a favorable mulch for Azaleas? a customer wants some pines for mulch and i just wanted to make sure this is ok. thanks!

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Pine needles are good for azaleas: they look good and help to make the PH range where the plants like it.

3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

Wrong. pine needles have no nutritional value to any shrubs. the wont give you water retention, soil temp control, nutrients for the soil or control the ph at all.

if your looking for some thing to go under those plants go with a shredded pine mulch and stay away from the hardwoods. the pine will give you all of the above and it is naturally resistant to pests. unlike pine needles or hardwood mulch. by the way lay that mulch at 4 inches if you can. it will cut down on the weeds. pine needles wont give you all of the benefits that mulch can.

4. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

5. Guthrie&Co

from nc

most hardwoods will not acidify the soil but if you use a pine it will. the benifits of pine mulch outweigh pine needles by far.

6. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

four inches a lil thick dont ya think?

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

8. Guthrie&Co

from nc

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OK then if this is what you have been taught this is what must be what you are going to believe.Now go out into the forest under a grove of tall pines,and stick your shovel in the earth and turn that soil over and look at it.Then do a soil test then come back and tell me what you found.

10. Guthrie&Co

from nc

I will tell you what i found. a landscaper who has been in the bizz for 15 years and hasnt figured it out yet.