Favorite Big Block - Sound Off!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimQ, Oct 23, 2007.

?

Favorite Big Block

1. 38 hp Kohler Command

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. 37 hp Kawasaki FX1000V

39 vote(s)
    56.5%
  3. 35 hp Briggs Vanguard

20 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

So lets hear it. What big block do you prefer?

38 hp Kohler Command
    37 hp Kawasaki FX1000V
    35 hp Briggs Vanguard

2. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

What do they have those engines on I wouldn't be able to vote here because the biggest mower I've run had a 31 hp briggs vangaurd on it

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how so many are voting for the Kawasaki (except brand name preference). The Briggs is the only long term proven engine of the group. It is the only one that can be purchased on one of the top 5 or so ZTR manufacturers (as far as I know). Daihatsu/Briggs has proven it's self over the last several years. Thousands have been bought and used with very little problems.

I'm not saying its the best, I'm saying those voting probably don't own one and are just voting for the Kawasaki name because you can't get one on an Exmark, Scag, Toro, Grasshopper, Ferris, Gravely, or any other name brand ZTR as far as I know except maybe Cub. If I'm wrong I apologize. Just tell me about your demo's and what mower you were using them on (big Kohlers and Kawasaki) and how they held up long term (2,000-3,00)hrs. Fact is you probably can't because they are new to the market and have few takers as of this post.

If you go by sales Briggs would be the clear winner. It wouldn't surprise me if the big Kawasaki's turn out to be great engines and take a large market share but they haven't had time to prove themselves yet. And Kohler ( a great company) doesn't seem to be able to convince anyone to use their big engines on ZTR's yet. Maybe I'm missing something but most of the big Kohlers and Kawasaki's don't have a home to go to yet.

I won't be surprised if all this changes in the next year or two. Kawasaki has always been a reliability leader. I have no bias because I like all 3. Just tell me what your basing your long term dependability on. Like I said if I'm wrong and Exmark or some other company comes out with a whole new fleet of big Kohlers and Kawasaki's at the Expo let me know. As of now I'm just assuming kawasaki is your favorite brand and you have little experience running the 37 Kawasaki and 38 Kohler.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody has enough experience with the 38 hp Kohler to make a rational decision.

The 37 hp Kawasaki has been in mower applications longer and there has been no negative feedback, everything I have heard has been positive but then again they are not time proven.

The 35 hp Vanguard is a mule and everything I have heard about them has been positive, but even knowing the engine is built by Daihatsu the American people still associate it with the Briggs & Stratton of old.

5. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Were is the generac choice?

I have run the 37hp kawasaki nice! I have run the vanguard also nice! I have also run the generac also very nice! Power diffrence between the three pretty close!

6. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Were is the generac choice?

I have run the 37hp kawasaki nice! I have run the vanguard also nice! I have also run the generac also very nice! Power diffrence between the three pretty close!

7. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

Really can't say from the reliability stand point but have run early versions of both the Kohler and the Kaw. While I love the power but had issues with the Kaw cutting out while going over bumps (yes I checked the wiring and it was not the seat switch). With the Kohler when making fast hard turns it would blow blue smoke like crazy for a few seconds. Never tried the Briggs.

Can't say I like one over the other. Both of the run good and with no shortage of power. Now if you want my thinking on looks the Kaw wins hands down.

Timo

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the other guys and voted briggs because it's been in the field long enough to be evaluated. I also prefer the brands in the following order...

1- Briggs
    2- Kawasaki
    3- Kohler

In the grand scheme of things though... I don't think it makes a flying flip which big-block you use on a new offering.

* Some MFG's have to try the newer unproven engines.
    * They will sell regardless of big block offering

So just pick the one that "fits" best.

* Which suits the application / orientation best?
    * Which company do you have the best relationship with?
    * Which engine option will represent the best financial value?

Those are the things to look at.

9. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know of any OEM who uses the big Kohler in a vertical shaft application? It's got plenty of giddy-up but the thing is huge and adds several inches to the back end of the machine.

DSC04209 (Large).jpg

DSC04211 (Large).jpg

DSC04209 (Large).jpg

DSC04211 (Large).jpg

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I am trying to be kind but this has got to be one of the biggest mismatches I've ever seen. I can't believe the engineers let this out of the factory like this. I'm hoping it was just a mechanic that thought it would be funny to see what a big 40 would look like on this particular ZTR. The engines physical size is just so out of proportion to the size of the ZTR's frame. There is absolutely no cage or protection for the muffler or air filter. Is this a Dixion (just guessing by the color)? I'm a very careful operator but I don't think the muffler or air cleaner would last the season. Just the back of the motor sticks out far enough. Maybe it's lighter than it looks but it looks like it would throw the weight balance off on the whole machine (without weights in front). I mean no offence and it may be a great ZTR and engine but they make an odd couple. These engine manufacturers and ZTR manufacturers are going to have to work close to get some of these big engines to work.

Well on the positive side I bet she doesn't bog down!