Favorite Design Combinations?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Humble Earth Mover, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

I'm curious what everyones favorite plant combos are. i.e. Rudbeckia & Russian Sage, boxwoods & lavender, blue spruce & stella d'oro, etc. Things you always seems to put together in designs because they always work....either complimenting texture or colors. Shady combos...sunny combos?
  2. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Black eyed susans behind a grouping of fountain grasses with a sweep of pink wave petunias in front. Or variegated hostas in front of a grouping of fountain grasses. - the colors and textures work well together

Also, tall pink phlox work well with black eyed susans.

Do u have any pics of your fav groupings?
  3. QSolti

QSolti LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Me, I've started to utilize a 2'x3' Moss Boulder with 2"-3" Colorado River rock 1' surrounding it. Behind the Boulder I like to use Fountain grass, and or Day Lillies.
  4. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i cant say i have any set of plants i seem to group together. my designs are generally dependent on to many factors and are based off of the design of the house and area located.

not one of my designs is similar to the next in my opinion.....

i guess i could say fall bulbs! i always plant tulips with daffodils LOL
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

here's one: Dwarf fountain, Daylilly, Jap Var Maiden, Black-Eyed Susan, English Lavander

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember my professor in my woody plants class recommended mixing forsythia with PJM Rhododendron, the yellow and lavender are usually blooming at Easter time. That is one I like. Also I like to add yellow daffodils in beds of Vinca, the blue and yellow combination is nice.
    I also think that red, gold and yellow day lillies look good with blue hydrangea.
    Grn Mtn, that is a nice mix for that sitting garden.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

grn mtn that is nice
    i can agree with terra pro to a degree but i do have favorites
    boxwood, varigated liriope, and bedding plants staggered in height respectfully
  8. NNL&LS

NNL&LS Banned
    from zone 5

Lately I have been liking masses of Emerald Arborvitae, with Karl Foerster and Endless Summer Hydrangea in front of them. Then, finish with rudbeckia in front of the whole works. A few boulders thrown in.
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I like the contrast of red knockouts and stellas.