favorite fertilizers

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Mar 8, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Ok guys. I'm looking at pre buying a few pallets of fertilizer. I'm going to get some prices from a few dealers and see what things look like. I have an idea of what i like to use, but in the past have just asked what everyone has in stock and chosen from there based on price. I'd like to get a set fertilizer program so I can send out bids sheets and buy big orders 2-3 times a year.

For those who do this do you ask for price per bag or say you need 3 pallets and do the math?

What are the most common and favorite anylasis of fertilizer for fescue, bermuda, and centipede(I'm luck to have all 3!!). I like to apply 1 lb of N on fescue and bermuda 3 times a year and .5 lbs N on centipede 3 times a year.

I've used anything from 8-8-24(end of year), 16-4-8, 30-0-6, 22-8-16, 18-24-12(starter), and on and on. I'm not sure what type of N is best on different turf types and I like a good slow release. Micros on my centipede and 1 app on everything else.
  2. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Your using a 8-8-24 for the end of the year?!?!? I never order more than what I need, figure out the spread rate for each app as they will be differen't. Calculate what each yard will take then add it up at the end.
  3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

We buy from Agrium up here this year, blows JDL away, you might be able to get a good deal ordering round 1 and round 2 and 3 if you can store it, maybe get terms, that way they are comming out with one delivery with a lot of product. just a thought.
  4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

24-5-11 5% fe is a favorite of mine.