Favorite Gas can

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Jul 22, 2003.

1. It's been hard finding good gas cans. No body carries the Gott(Sold under Rubbermaid) gas cans anymore.

I love those gas cans, they never tip over.

What brand you all like?

2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Those gas cans are sold in the Ace hardware store in my area under the name of Briggs and Stratton. They seem to be the same price as the blitz crap.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

The one that's the fullest!

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

For the mowers I used to really like the metal jeep gas cans.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have always used Eagle Safety cans. The ones with the spring loaded top and wire mesh inside the opening. My Father bought me 2 (5gal and 2.5 gal) back in 1984. Still use them every day. This year I bought a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon Justrite UNO can. The only thing I don't like is the flow. On the 5 gallon can I have a 1" flex hose and it takes about 2 minutes to empty :rolleyes: Seems like your there forever pouring! The 3 gallon I use for my 2 cycle gas and it has the small 5/8" flex hose. It is perfect. When you see your small tanks filling up, just let go of the trigger handle.....Gas Flow stops!

By the way they are built, I can see getting a lifetime of use out of these as well as my old Eagles.

Here is a pic of the new UNO cans I have the big 5 Gal one and the 3 gallon is just a bit taller than the small one shown here.

[​IMG]

My old Eagles aren't made in Red anymore, they're only available unpainted. Mine are exactly like this but a bit older with a faded red color. I use the removable yellow spout and just pour right in the mowers.

[​IMG]

6. Chief

Chief LawnSite Member

Here is my refueling rig. I got the wagon $76 & fuel filter $25 at TSC, the tank, pump, hose I bought from a friend for $75 (I helped him with some landscaping work and he cut me mucho slack on the price) The tank holds 55 gallons I get the off road diesel which cost me 95 cents a gallon. I believe the same can be done with gasoline. I use my tractor on my farm so it is cost effective for me.

july 9, 2003_0006.jpg

7. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

TLS, how heavy are those eagle gas cans?

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They claim 10lbs on their site, or was that the Justrite UNO ones, I cant remember. Is there a weight issue or something? They aren't heavy till you have 5 gallons of fuel in them really!

Hey if they can last almost 20 years, no rust, no dents, no leaks.....Haven't done a thing to them other than fill them up and empty them out!

9. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

let me rephrase, how easy are they to pour?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess they are pretty easy to pour. These two types of cans pictured above are about all I ever used. Like I said, the UNO's are VERY slow pouring, as the filler neck is also the pouring control valve. There is a slide valve in the neck that pulls back with the small handle when you squeeze it. It has a rather small opening into the flex spout.

The Eagles pour quick and easy with the yellow spout funnel attachment.

Am I the only person using SAFETY cans???