favorite grassy weed control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by klsgc, Dec 13, 2010.

1. klsgc

klsgc LawnSite Member

Whats your favorite grassy weed control for cool season grasses. We mainly deal with sedge and crabgrass. In the past I have used q4 in a hand can with good sucess. This summer was very hot, hotter than normal. In talking to some guys in the area, it seems we have all burned the occasional lawn in spots by spot spraying with a backpack. I was using 3oz/gal, and I even cut that in half later in the summer, and calibrated. I was still noticing some burn getting only 1.5-2oz. of concentrate per k. This product has made me somewhat nervous because of the high salt content. I am thinking about trying solitaire next year. Does anyone have any experience with the safety of that? Does it settle out? I would like to leave it in the aux tank on my z overnight. Am I going to have to drain and clear the lines with water? Input please.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

KLS,
    Its 13 degrees at my house--no crab or nutsedge in sight.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

A little warmer here but still no grassy weeds...we have a few months yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i think we all know that, but he is doing research man, give some slack.

i use q4 so i cant help

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I use MSMA, but will have to find another product when I use my supply. I also use Image for nutsedge.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. klsgc

klsgc LawnSite Member

Hey grassman, do you spot out of a backpack with it, or run it out of your z. how many k/ gallon do you use it at? Do you get any burn?

7. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

I too used MSMA this year @ 1oz/k...no burn to speak of during the hot dry summer.

I was given some samples of the "old" Q4...IMO it "SUCKED". Guess that is why they came out with a new version.

Don't have any experience with Solitare, but a contractor friend of mine did use some this year and was not happy with it.

I used T Zone for the first time this year...seemed to work pretty good on the broadleaf weeds. It obliterated the nutgrass. The label says that it suppresses nutgrass so we'll what happens next year.

8. klsgc

klsgc LawnSite Member

grass4gass, what made it suck? Not enough quinclorac for a good crab kill? Did you have some burning?

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Asulox is what I use on my lawn.

10. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. No burning, but was very slow to work. Broadleaf control was non existant.