Favorite Pre-emerg?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Planter, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

What is your favorite pre-emergant for cool season grasses and why?
  2. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

you can get it formulated just aboiut any way you want it...
    known throughout the land....and you can get a net thirty account.
  3. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

We used dimension this year.Last year we used pendimethalin Hated it. It turns everything yellow-orange your teeth your underware your urine. The dimension is about $2.00 a bag more though. Worth it to me!!
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Besides the fact that it turns everything yellow, what did you think of it's control? Same complaints here about the pendamethalin, but didn't switch over to Dimension (dithiopyr) this year.
  5. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

I used Pendimethalin last year too.... Pissed orange too! The control for the Pendimethalin when compared to Team that we used the year before was not as good. Not sure if it was more environmental versus actual product. This year using Dimension. It is definitely not as dusty and have no staining issues as with the Pendimethalin. Search the forum and you'll find where Tremor has posted university studies on the effectiveness or all pre-emergents.
  6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I've used nearly all the "pre-m's" available over the past 20+ years and have no clear favorite. They all do the job fairly well if applied properly, at the right time, at the right rate(s). Some show a slightly broader range of weeds controlled (I take care of the others with post-emergents) while others have lower cost/acre etc. I think the best overall performer I've used is Barricade (prodiamine). No staining, excellent crabgrass control and, new turf has a much better tolerance than most others. The only problems I've had is proper agitation at times. Mechanical ag. does fine but you must slurry with sparge/bypass or clumping or "gumballing" will occur. I've been waiting since it's introduction for a EC formulation but no dice so far. On warm season turf? No doubt about it..Simazine in the fall.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I use Dimension and have had very good results with the split app.
  8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

We use dimension. Once and done.

9. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I have used Team with good results, only it takes a split app.. Dimension worked really good on grassy weeds(what it's meant for), but not at all on broadleaf. I have used Barricade for the last 2 years and have been really happy with it. It has a fairly broad range of control.
    This year Lebanon has introduced thier fert. w/ Barricade in a MESA formulation, supposed to be a true slow release. No more sulfer coated stuff. Seems to be working well for me so far!
  10. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate all your opinions.