Favorite Size Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SmallLawns.com, Feb 18, 2013.

?

Favorite Size Lawn

Poll closed Mar 20, 2013.
  1. under 11,000 sq. ft.

30.3%
  2. 11,000 sq. ft. - 20,000 sq. ft.

30.3%
  3. 20,000 sq. ft. - 40,000 sq. ft

6.1%
  4. over 40,000 sq. ft.

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SmallLawns.com

SmallLawns.com LawnSite Member

Whats your ideal size lawn to mow? (ie convenience, profitable, stress, etc. .)

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

For profitability it's under 11000 sq ft all the way! But I didn't pick that choice stress is a key indicator and under 20000 were less likely to need to bag and less likely to be at risk of damaging something like poorly placed windows and cars. That said the 20000 plus category and above are more enjoyably to mow you can play with some interesting stripe patterns you get to mow at full speed more often and you get to be left alone with your thoughts. I'll often calculate to the penny in my head with out any price sheets what I made that day on the previous 20-25 lawns and with the remaining time how many more I need to hit my goals.

3. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the larger yards. i would rather 1 50,000sqft over 2 25,000sqft because of the down time in between yards of loading and unloading, driving to the next yard, ect.

4. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The smaller the better. I live in a small town so it takes 5 minutes to get anywhere. The small lawns are good because I can charge 15-20 bucks for 10 minutes of work + 5 minutes travel time. The bigger yards I struggle to get people willing to pay more than 35/man hour.

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

It's not technically a "lawn" but I like anything over 6 acres. Less moving/loading, and unloading. Smaller properties have higher margins but like Kelly's said there is a lot more stress to get them done and get onto the next one.

6. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got a bunch of 5k yards for $20 - $25. Done in less than 20 min.
    Wish I could make $60 per hour all day....

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I like to mow larger properties but find that around 13K of Turf is the best margins for me. I have found that the larger properties typically buy less "upgraded" services and average less money per hour spent on site.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

In my area I like larger properties. Being in a rural area it is difficult to get lawns lined right up in a row with little drive time. Since I have a good amount of drive time I like bigger lawns because I make more money while cutting than driving.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I like the 1/4 acre jobs. They're right at the $35 price point. Once you get over that number a lot of people seem to be a little more hesitant. Around here the 1 acre and up jobs don't go for much more but it does take longer to do them. People want to get a bigger and bigger volume discount and I'm just not interested in going under 32 cents per hundred square feet unless there is no edging and minimal trimming.

10. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I like the larger properties less loading unloading but my best per hour rate is on the 1/2 -3/4 acre yards