1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Small Engine

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by LedgedaleLawn, Dec 6, 2008.

?

Favorite Small Engine

1. B&S

15 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Kohler

32 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Honda

54 vote(s)
    29.3%
  4. Kawasaki

74 vote(s)
    40.2%
  5. Other

9 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

kawasaki gets my vote

2. Den69RS96

Den69RS96 LawnSite Member

I have 25hp Kohler on my Cub Cadet GT3235 tractor that is the best small engine I own hands down. Next I would say its a tie between the 8hp Tecumsah on my snow blower, the Subaru 5.7hp engine on my pressure washer, and the 10hp B&S intek on my chipper. Next is the 18hp vanguard on my generator. If it didn't blow smoke just at start up, I would have put it right behind the Kohler. The 5hp Honda gx is my least favorite engine. It runs good and I've had no problems with it, but its a pain to start when temps drop below 50 for fall clean up.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

When I used to work for a company that owned nothing but dixies, I fell in love with the Generac engine.

4. Greenleaf Lawns

Greenleaf Lawns LawnSite Member

wisconsin robin

can not kill em, unfortunately snapper quit using them...

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Kawasaki or honda!!!

Kohler makes sinks!

6. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

For dirtbikes, Kawasaki.

7. mowzilla

mowzilla LawnSite Member

i have had good service out of briggs i/c's ( go ahead and laugh) got one with 2000hrs on it on a toro 36 that still runs like a top. i absolutely love the torque of the kohler command/command pro ( feel its stronger than a kawasaki) but the kawasaki's run soo smooth and seem bulletproof.

8. Fuller Lawn Care

Fuller Lawn Care LawnSite Member

35 horse CAT diesel in the bad boymowers i wish i could afford one

9. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Honda's been very good for us.

10. mowzilla

mowzilla LawnSite Member

well now that i own a kohler, and have used it a while, i'd say between the combination of owning a kohler 19, and using a 2500+hour command pro sp on my exmark at my other job(i work as a supervisor for another company 4 days a week, work for myself 2-3 days a week) , and having used kawasaki's 15-25 hp, i'd say my favorite is kohler hands down, second briggs (older i/c, newer intek/vanguard) , last tie-kawasaki/honda..

my 1988 12.5hp briggs i/c on my toro proline has Never, never let me down and runs as good today as it did it 1988.. don't use any oil, and other than rebuilding the rewind starter has never had a bolt cracked on it..and honestly this mower will hang with any 36 exmark with a kawasaki that i have used at any time( have used several different exmarks) .....

and i am not kind to zero turns, every exmark that i have used that is kohler powered just kicks butt on high grass and running it hard and fast everyday...they just take it.. the mower fails before the engine..

and i know that i own a "wannabe lazer z or toro zmaster " for my company (riverbend) , but i run it as hard as i do any other zero turn.. from bushogging rough stuff to manicured bermuda, i have been impressed by kohler's performance time after time.. and 4 days a week i work for one of the best companies on the planet, and the lazer z i use there really gets hammered..and i have cut insanely high grass with it ( and a kawasaki powered john deere at my last company-t((((g(((n) and it kicks butt..

i am not saying a kawasaki is bad, they are far from it.. but hp for hp the kohler , to me, is much stouter..

the stoutest v twin by far though is the generac like dixie chopper uses, but they love gas..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009