Favorite Small Things

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nelbuts, Jul 5, 2003.

1. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

You know we all talk mowers and such but today while pruning I was thinking about rakes. So here is a good one.

Do you like plastic or metal rakes?
    I like plastic and have found the red ones from Ace Hardware to be the best.

Your favorite hand clippers? Mine are Felco. They just fit my hand and I have never had a blister with them.

A barrel or a tarp to clean up with? I use a barrel ( 44 gal. rubbermaid) for most work but found that a good old plastic tarp is best for larger trimmings.

If you have any favorite "little things" that play a big part of our daily lives post them so wek can all check them out.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Metal tine rakes for pruning cleanups.
    Felco pruners are great.
    My Echo articulating, extended hedge clippers have saved me hours.

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have the same Echo hedge trimmer but my favorite is my Robin double sided. They have not failed me in eight years. I use the Echo for the tall stuff.

The plastic rake I use has a stiff support down the middle for strength. I used to use metal but just find that the plastic is lighter and does a better job in our type of grass when raking.

Oh my favorite oil, Penzoil and grease is the red waterproof trailer grease.

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the Ace plastic rake too, but I also carry the metal rake and a steel one.

One small item I use is a pair of wire clippers for cutting trimmer line. They work great. Like a big pair of toenail clippes. One more small thing that comes to mind - I like the "cloth" bungee straps vs. the rubber ones because they rot too fast. Last, I love my cooler with the small "shelf" insert so I can keep a sandwich dry & drinks wet.

5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I really like the steel tine rakes the best, one thing i always carry also is oil-dry, i make some good money cleaning up the oil spills in the older clients garages, Like them dry sandwiches too......Marks Mowing Service

6. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

First off, I'll say that I don't know about the warranty on rakes at Ace Hardware and other places. Also, I don't know how close any of you are to a Sears store.

I buy all my hand tools such as rakes and shovels and the smaller pruning shears there because they're a lifetime guarantee. Even the wooden handle stick tools are warranted for life. They cost two or three dollars more, but I think it's worth it.

Just bring them back in, no receipt and we give you a brand new one from the shelf. No questions asked.

I'm not telling anybody to buy Sears, because I know everyone goes with what works best for them.

I just figured I'd share my knowledge with everyone here and try to save some people money in the long run. :angel:

Time to go to bed.......hope everyone had a great fourth.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Prefer metal broom rakes for cleaning up trimmings

Felco all the way. All my pruners ans hand saws are felco

1 cu. yd stand up lawn bag is nothing but right to put all trimmings into.

8. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

My coolest and most useful small tool is a Weed Wrench. Look here: http://www.canonbal.org/weed.html
    They come in four sizes. I have the second largest. Would like to get a smaller one too (and maybe even the biggest one). Have pulled up hundreds of tree sprouts with it. Way better than cutting them off (they resprout!)

Have used a pair of Felco loppers for a long time. Looking forward to getting Felco pruners. The Felco #2 is the world standard. I think they are about $32.00 from A.M Leo (best place for small tools) Request a catalog - http://www.amleo.com
    Hard to find in stores, but I have seen the Felco #2's for over $50.00.

I use a cheap red plastic rake from Ace Hardware. Many of Ace's tools have a lifetime guarantee - it will say on the handle. I have taken back broken loppers, shovels, rakes, with or without receipts and they have exchanged them.

I also carry a metal adjustable rake. Besides being adjustable, its cool because the tines are thin and round, which works better for some things.

One much-used tool is the sharpshooter shovel. Also carry a regular shovel and a flat-edged shovel. And a dirt rake and pole saw and a pole pruner and a sledge hammer.

I also use Bahco (new name for Sandnvik) shears. I use them almost always instead of gas or electric shears to trim shrubs and hedges.

I have tons of 5-gallon plastic buckets and always keep some with me. Like to keep one full of good dirt in the truck just in case.

Also I use the heavy duty contractor plastic trash bags. These are tough enough to reuse. So I use them over and over to take yard waste to the compost site.