1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Sulky that can be used in Reverse?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by champyards, Nov 16, 2012.

1. champyards

champyards LawnSite Member

I know there are limited options for sulkies that can be used in reverse, but any particular favorites out there? Has anyone used the GoSlide, and does it work in reverse?

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

No on the slide. What about the Bullrider.

3. champyards

We're buying a Gravely Pro Walk 36" with the Pro Steer (zero turn style controls). I have heard mixed reviews on the Bull Rider with decks under 48" due to difficulty steering pistol grip mowers in "caster" mode...any thoughts?

4. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a trimmer trap sulky, I love it, the wheels make no marks in the grass, they are inline with the mower tires. The deck is great and doesn't build up a lot, very easy to grease and comes with a built in feature to lock in upright.

But most people cant use the 2 wheeled sulkies in reverse, its really not hard. For straightaways, just stiffen your legs and make adjustments by pushing with you feet on the front. And to turn while backing up, its just like a trailer, and who in this industry can't back up a trailer :waving:

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

That's right, any sulky can be backed up, just like a trailer.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've used Jungle Wheels and they're right.
    It's just like backing up a trailer.

However, I did lose my big toenail on my left foot this year.
    I got caught between some riprock and backed into my foot just enough to slip the edge into my toes.
    First time in over 12 years.
    It was entirely my fault, I took a shortcut and payed the price.
    It's about halfway grown out now.

7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I've backed up and hit my toes before. Not as bad as you, damn. Glad it's healing up.

I like the "fixed" stand on type as in the BOP step saver. You're constantly in line with the controls. No twisting to turn around or back up. Complete control. I just hope BOP will be around. It's not looking good.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, there is a warning somewhere that states "NEVER back up a velke"
    I knew it had something to do with the operator's safety, like one's feet.
    A biggie is to have both feet on the velke when it jacks, and the trailing arm catches an ankle...
    But you can also trip and have the mower on top of you quick.

So I think it's safe to say be careful.

There does exist a 2-wheel style that has the swiveling casters and the sulky itself never swivels,
    and while it's probably the best type to use for this I still might be careful about calling it safe.

Ultimately we're not supposed to back up with it...
    But, we do anyway.

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Well said TS. That's why I like the step saver type that BOP uses. It can still toss you off if your not careful. I learned the hard way the first week I owned it. LOL Threw me right off the back. I let go of one side of the controls and off I went. I had to do a tuck and roll. Glad the homeowners weren't home. LOL

10. champyards

Thanks for all the info everyone, it's been a big help in making a decision.
    Posted via Mobile Device