Favorite trimmer line and why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ridin' Green, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Title says it all. I would like to know other members favorite trimmer line, brand, type, size etc.

I have had great luck with Oregon Gator Magnum .095" (the type with the Aramid chord running through it), in both hex and square configurations. It seems to last longer than everything else I have tried, especially along chainlink fencing, and it cuts through tough weedy foilage like a blade.

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

been using shindaiwa .095 for 9 years, i'm swapping over to SHIHL equipment but will most likely stay with this line. (FYI i soak the spool in a bucket of water over the weekend once a month and it keeps it super limber and not as prone to breaking)

3. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

I am useing Shindaiwa .095 this year. Last year I used Shindaiwa .105, but bought a Stihl trimmer head that wont accept .105. I used the Stihl .095 earlier this year until someone stole it off my trailer. I tried two different Husqvarna lines last year, but it was to brittle and didn't last long. I always go back to Shindaiwa line it seems to be the best all around line.

4. Poontamer

Poontamer Banned

That line thats black with swirls,nothing better IMO
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

we started using stihl .095 square this year for regular service and .105 on our 223L and 323L husqvarna's we went to stihl after our sprial line from husqvarna hit 85.00 per 5 lbs at the dealer and the stihl was 2 miles down the road at a Co-Op for 42.50 per 5 lbs spool and the .105 is round and only for cemetery and wigh wear jobs

6. GrandMaster

GrandMaster LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have found ecco .95 at home depot the best price and durability for most 21-23cc trimmers. I also like shind .80 for trimming not around hard items>

7. elitefox

elitefox LawnSite Member

+10, I can't believe no-one else said it. its called vortex line and hands down NOTHING is better

8. GrandMaster

GrandMaster LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Its good but no good enuf for the cost! Hands down ecco

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

.080 round

Because I have pounds and pounds and pounds (and pounds and pounds and pounds) of it.

10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

.095 Echo "Crossfire". Been using it for as long as I can remember, but I carry some samples of other brands (collected at GIE-Expo) in case of emergencys.