Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TLClandscaping, May 5, 2008.

1. TLClandscaping

TLClandscaping LawnSite Member

Humm, not sure where to put this lol,

I had a dentist appt. today "%*#!" and the dentist wants me to do the landscaping for him, and he wants me to take it out in trade since I have no insurance and it costs me out the /\$$ for dental work, What do you all think about that, maybe him paying for the plants/trees/mulch, supplies ect. and charging no labor, how would you all tackle this one?
  2. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

That's a sticky situation. On one hand is good for you since you don't have insurance. I'm in the same no dental insurance boat as you. It costs me 400-500 to have checkup for the me, wife, and 2 kids. I we have to get x-rays---forget about it--600.
    On the other hand, you have to make sure the dentist is not trying to get more work out of you than the dental work is worth. I would definitely do it if he buys all materials so you have no out of pocket cost. The more I think about it, I would definitely do this I if could with my dentist.
  3. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

why would you let him buy the materials????does he let you purchase you're material for fillings and cleanings and then charge you flat hourly rate?.no i bet you pay for a cleaning exam at one rate (cleaning 150$ xrays 300$).so why don't you find out what he wants, buy you're plants wholesale and trade straight up $500 you're cost for $500 his cost don't sell yourself short ,if he buys the material you are taking a Big loss and essentially rolling over and playing dumb.
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I wish mine would have done that! I paid $1500 for a root canal and now need a crown for another $1500 :hammerhead:
  5. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Go for it. We do it all the time. Here in a few weeks we are working for a guy that owns a body shop and my Dad is letting them fix a dent in his truck for the work.

A while back we did alot of work for a guy that owned a cycle shop. We traded out 2 brand new 4 wheelers for the work.
  6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i would give him a written proposal for anything you do, and have him sign it, that way there is no question about how much he has to credit you, talking from experience, a friend of mine got screwed by his dentist
  7. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Back in the eighties, I barbered with a dentist in exchange for mowing/landscaping his office and home. He paid for the supplies and it worked out great for both of us. I had several thousand dollars worth of dental work done as a result. We agreed on a simple handshake but nowadays, It ought to be in a written contract, Then a handshake!
  8. TLClandscaping

TLClandscaping LawnSite Member

Sweet deal I think... I have been with this dentist for sometime now, he takes care of my wife & son as well.

I will still use my head on bidding it, thanks
  9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Come up with a pricing system so that your comparisons can be quantitative should there be a problem. You could even go heavy on the price because he is bartering, too. A simple way to do it is to tell him (in writing) that you use someone's catalog as a base price and charge x times as much for the plant and intallation. You can give a material markup percentage as well and a labor rate for things that are not priced out as installed. Remember that you are not trying to under bid anyone, so go on the high side.

That will cover you if the guy tries to pull some BS on you later. A court will not try to discount your work.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it all depends exactly how, that is when and where this conversation ensued.
    There's no telling, this could have come about anytime and it might be all right,
    but it might have come around at the wrong time, too... There aren't enough
    details in this story to make an informed decision from where I stand.