Fax machine needed?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Nov 14, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I was really looking to tackle a 30-40hr week next season, and I would REALLY love to have a few yearly commercial accounts also.
    A Fax machine crossed my mind today. The man I work for owns a furniture repair shop. All of his commercial accounts and commercial businesses come straight from his fax machine. After that he calls them and sets up a time.

My question, Do fax machines make a big difference for yall? Or are yall usually get commercial only from phone calls and your visits?

2. cutedge

cutedge LawnSite Member

I get a lot of my commercial properties through people I know. When junk fax comes through our fax machines, my secretary knows to just trash it. I think that's what most businesses do. Why not join a rotary club or check out the Chamber of Commerce. They both have helped me in the past. I say no on the fax machine idea

3. fargoboy

fargoboy LawnSite Member

Back in the eighties and nineties, if you wanted to be state of the art, you needed a 400.00 fax machine. But things haved changed for the better. Today people are willing to accept e-mails for proposals and transactions. Heck my bank wants me to scan all my customers checks and just send them the scans now. The 4 in 1 copier, scanner, fax, printer that you buy today for 50.00 does a far better job than any stand alone fax machine ever did. The only thing that my fax machine does now is receive stock deals from some fly by night swindlers.

Although having a good website hasn't panned out for most landscaping co's there will be a time in the near future that if you don't have web exposure you will fail. See today's kids are learning to search for what they need on the internet. Their parents looked for their needs in the yellow pages or newspapers.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I Have One U Can Have
    The #2 Is A Little Sticky But It Works Great Other Wise
    U Pay Shipping And Its Yours

5. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

if you deal with commercial properties you need a fax machine. will it help you get commercial properties. i dont think so. most time i get a fax its from the realestate company i deal with saying go look at this or how much for this and so on.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it even has ink

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My roommate has one, it's always been hooked up, I've never in the years had any use for it.

Not true, but it wasn't for business, or it JUST so happened but maybe once in 3-4 years...
    The web site, since it was mentioned, hasn't impressed me either...
    But it's gotten noticeably more use in 1 year than the fax ever :laugh:

8. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i only use it for estimates..
    usualy gov jobs want a faxed estimate or bid sheet.

9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

If you do commercial, a fax machine is as important as gas for your machines.

If you send short(only a few lines) messages to let's say property managers though the fax it will work. I say short because those mgrs don't even have time to take a break let alone read too much. If you keep the message short and in season they may have use for you.

This year we got many new contacts and mucho work with that technique. There's always a new manager that'll notice you even if you do it every year.

:)

10. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I was thinking. Just faxing something short and simple to many different apartment complexes and stores.