1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Faxed signature legal for contract???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Mar 17, 2004.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a new customer that was referred to me. I've never met the person but have spoken with him on the phone. He agreed to my price and asked me to fax him my aggreement. I did so and he faxed it back with his illegible signature on it. I live in Florida. Is a faxed signature legal in Florida for purposes of a contract or aggreement?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It is in Michigan and other states, but you'll have to give your Atty Gen. office a call and find out.
  3. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

Yes it is. The signature is the same on a fax or if the original is
    received by mail.
  4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We always treat faxed signatures as if they were original, but I always request that they follow up by mail with a signed original.

Austreim Landscaping
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think but im not sure about this. But i think it is. I just refinaced my house, and i faxed some things that i signed, but i think i had to follow up with mailing it also. I think a faxed signature is good for a certain period, like 48-72 hours. I dont think it will do you any good in court if you would happen to do that 3 months from now though.