FB460v burning oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gimpytwice, Dec 16, 2004.

1. gimpytwice

gimpytwice LawnSite Member

I have a 12.5 KAW that sat outside for two years before I got it. It starts fine but burns LOTS of oil, to the point of blowing oil out the exaust. I think the rings are frozen and letting oil blow past. Is there any way to fix this without taking it apart?
    Thanks in advance
    Tim

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You could spray some wd 40 in the spark plug holes and then turn the engine over a couple of times to get the wd 40 to the rings. That might help but more than likely you will have to tare down the engine and replace the rings to solve the problem.

3. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Yikes! Don't run it like that. There's a number of reasons that can cause that much oil to be blown out of the exhaust. Pull the plug and bring the engine to TDC. Fill the cylinder with oil up to the plug hole and let it set for 15 minutes. If it goes down, the rings are frozen or broken. That means the piston is in contact with the cylinder wall and you could cause more damage by running it. If it takes only a few minutes or less, you could have a cracked piston. (or a hole)

Another cause of oil pumping is the valve guides. If it sat for some time, the valve stems could have rusted. Running the engine could have wiped out the guides.

The best thing to do when you get an engine that's been stored/unused and weathered is to buy a gasket set and pull the engine apart for cleaning and checking. Running an engine with unknown maintenance can lead to $$$ damage.