fb460v compression

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by papd, Jun 24, 2008.

1. papd

papd LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me how much compression I should have? I have the screw in type tester. The model number on the engine is FB460v-AS14. I have spark and I suspect the carberator is clogged but want to check the compression before I go too much farther.

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Because of the ACR or Automatic Compression Release the minimum compression reading is 71 psi for this engine.

3. papd

papd LawnSite Member

Ok thanks, I'll check it later today. I have spark and I tried to spray thrust into the carb just to see if it would fire at all but it doesn't. Any suggestions?

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your not giving me much to go on as to the history of the unit you are working on. A little back story on this motor will help in narrowing down whats going on(been sitting, was running?) 4 cycle engines all need the same things to run Air, Fuel, Fire, and what your going to test for Compression. If you have a good compression reading and you shoot an external fuel source into the engine and it still does nothing then you will need to check spark(and spark timing,flywheel key) how are you testing for spark?

5. papd

papd LawnSite Member

Sorry, its been sitting about 2 years. Was given to me not running by a friend. He said last he used it, it ran fine. I have a good spark now, I realized there was a problem with the kill switch constantly grounding so it couldnt start I believe. It fires now with the thrust. Replaced the fuel line and filter because it was brittle.
    I reconnected the fuel line to see if it would flow into the carb at all but it won't. So I removed the float and needle and cleaned everything. But the fuel still doesnt flow through. I'm not familiar with kawasaki but with other engines the fuel will flow through with the float and such removed. Maybe there is something simple that I'm missing? I'm def no pro.
    Thanks for all your help!

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Is the fuel valve open on the fuel tank ?

7. papd

papd LawnSite Member

Yes, the valve is open and the fuel is coming out of the line but it doesn't seem to make it into the carburetor. I guess there must be a clog in the carb that I can't see.