1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

FB460V KAWASAKI,wont sart?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chevydude, Apr 16, 2004.

1. chevydude

chevydude LawnSite Member

I have a fb460v kawasaki 12.5 horse.last fall i was driving it and it just quit running.i checked spark looks good.i checked gas and changed it.cleaned carb out several times i know its getting gas and fire it sounds like it wants to start at times but don't. so if anyone has any other ideas i would appreciate it.OH it's on a 427 dixon if that helps anymore,thx
  2. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I don,t want to sound stupid ,but did you change the plug,kawi engines seem to real sensitive about plugs
  3. chevydude

yes i changed the plug,thx anyway.i had it running once today.i got it running drove it around then shut it off and now i cant get it started back up,lol:angry:
  4. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I do not know what all you do when starting your engine.
    My Snapper WB has a Kaw 460 engine.
    The past two years. I have had to choke it to it going. Hot, Cold it does not matter. If the choke is not applied. It will not start. Once it does start, it runs as it should. I have gone through the entire process of cleaning, replacing and tuning and it did not help at all.

You say that you have spark. So that eliminates the electrical wiring to the switch.

Fuel, air and timing are about all that is left except any problems due to mechanical (valves, gaskets, broken rings, etc).
  5. chevydude

yes it is fully choked when i'm trying to start it.vavles seem to be good and working properly. a ring has crossed my mined.a question though.if the battery was'nt producing the cranking amps the motor might need could that cause a problem? it seems to be turning over geat,but it just seems like fuel to the ignition point isn't right.like i said it acts like it wants to start it just doesnt get there.thx for your advice

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

There are two common problems the 460, 12.5 HP's have.

First, if the choke is not all the way closed, the machine will not start. You can cure this usually by spreading the linkage rod further apart.
    Second, valves. Replace them and your problem solved. Even though they may look good, even though the seats look good, replace them. $80.00 fix.