Fb460v Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rodten, May 10, 2004.

1. rodten

rodten LawnSite Member

i have a walk behind toro with the 12.5 flathead fb460v that has always beenhard to start, especially in cool mornings, usally around 15 to 20 pull. it seems to flood really easy. any ideas

2. rdsmith3

rdsmith3 LawnSite Member

How many hours on it?

I have the same engine. Just had a valve job done, and it is better now.

Also check fuel filter.

Finally, if you are using after market air filter, it is possible that there is a gap around the edge and junk is getting into carb. DAMHIK.

Bob

3. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I have an FB460 "L head" on a Snapper WB.

I have always used a fuel filter on anything that I can put one on. Yet some how a large grass seed got into the carb bowel and would not let the fuel shut off. The carb would fill with gas and made the engine very hard to start.

One or two pulls and the intake manafold would fill with gas. I usally had to pull the plug. Crank it a few times and then get it started. Then it would run fine.

I would suggest that you clean the carb. Pay close attention to the float needle valve and seat.

Also if you do not have a fuel shut off valve. Install one. The float in the carb can bounce up and down causing the carb to flood.

After I removed that seed and cleaned the carb. I have not had a problem since. Just full choke pull the rope and it will fire up within two pulls.

4. rodten

rodten LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info with the carb. problem. I'm checking this out today