FB460V too much exhaust

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mrgsemail, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mrgsemail

mrgsemail LawnSite Member

I have a Toro 32 walk behind with a KAW FB460V engine. We just replaced the engine and the new engine is running rich and not running well. It lets out very rich exhaust that you cant stand when running the mower. What do I need to adjust? Its burning oil as well. Thanks

2. hotrodsnapper

hotrodsnapper LawnSite Member

First, if this is a new engine, get in touch with your dealer. If it's burning oil you may have gotten a lemon.

When you say the exhaust is rich, do you mean that you can smell raw gasoline in the exhaust? Is it also blowing black smoke?

If that is the case, you should be able to adjust the mixture. There are typically two screws on the carb, one for idle and the other for high speed. Somebody familiar with Kawi's will probably post up and tell you exactly where to look. Just start the engine and bring it to full throttle, then turn the high speed screw in slowly until the engine starts to run more smoothly. If this doesn't do it, the float in the carb could be stuck, or the carb could use a good cleaning.

As far as burning oil, how much is it consuming? Do you see any blue-white smoke coming from the exhaust? This will be easier to see after you get the carburator issue straightened out. Best case scenario you are blowing a lot of white smoke, then it's likely a head gasket. Worst case, especially in a used engine, is that the rings or valve guides are shot and you have yourself a worn out engine.

If it can be fixed, some of the folks on here will be able to diagnose and walk you through the repair.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Other than the carb adjusting screws Hotrodsnapper said it all. Hotrodsnapper - do you have a Hot Rod Snapper? I've been looking at some lawn mower racing and I thought - just maybe........................................

4. mrgsemail

Thanks for the reply. Its not a gas smell, but strong smell. I will adjust the idle and see if that helps. Its puts out black smoke when you first start it, no white smoke. Enough exhaust is being released when running it, it burns eyes and make you light headed. You don't see exhaust, but you smell the exhaust.

When we replace the engine, the muffler had a rattle when you shook it. Could it be that?

Thanks

5. khouse

Like Hotrod asked - was it a brand new engine. If not what carb was installed on the replacement engine?

6. mrgsemail

New engine, carb came with it. All we moved from old engine to new engine was muffler.

7. khouse

Have you made sure your choke is 100% open?

8. mrgsemail

Not sure, Will do. When I choke it, it runs rough, but it could be the linkage. I will check that. Thanks

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Bet ya a dollar the baffle you heard loose in the muffler is causing a restriction in exhaust out-put. This WILL cause exactly what you explained.

10. mrgsemail

That would be great. I will order one. Thanks for all your help!