1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

FC95 Edger will not stay running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JPsDuramax, Feb 14, 2013.

1. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

I have had a Stihl FC95 edger now for five years and whenever I start having problems keeping it running, I've been able to change the carb and everyhting is fixed. Well today I replaced the spark plug and air filter, and it barely wanted to start. So I pulled out the spare carb I keep (it's that much of a problem) and replaced it. Started up and wouldn't stay running without keeping it throttled all the way up. I replaced the fuel filter and all the fuel lines are in good shape. Is there something I am over looking? Or is it time to invest in another one? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. biodale

biodale LawnSite Member

It is probably an air leak in the fuel lines somewhere. It is a Stihl so of course you do not have to replace itl. Make sure you replace the starter bulb as it may have a leak. Or the black gasket under the bulb. (that is the problem most of the time). Have you checked the timing of the valves. I think your edger is a 4 stroke hybrid. Valve timing can cause hard starting. Even if you take it to a shop it will be well worth your money.
  3. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Thanks for the advice and yes it is a 4Mix (as Stihl calls it). The bulb and gasket are brand new on the carb (they come pre-assembled), but I'll check to make sure they are seated. If its not that, I'll run it by my dealer.