Fear of the Unknown: Where did you find the courage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ursushorribilus, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

So I've been a member of Lawnsite since February of this year, and was reading it for some time before that. Every day that I follow the trials and tribulations of this group, that I feel like I have come to know, I get excited and want to run out and "get busy". But I must confess, I'm somewhat scared to take the first step. I've read Lawnsite for hundreds of hours, I've checked Websites adnauseam for equipment and prices, and have been to dealers in my area for this as well. I've posted questions about equipment and have refined my selections to a few because of your collective insight, and just yesterday test drove some awesome cube trucks. But I don't yet dare to venture into the "wilderness", and here it is almost August. The old adage, "he who hesitates is lost", may apply here, because I continue to procrastinate.

Being scared is not my forte, I'll fight the devil himself if provoked, and have battled most of my life. I'll run off to a third-world country where common sense would dictate that Americans should avoid, and have the time of my life. But finding the courage to make this career move has eluded me, and I'm angry at myself because of it. How have you, collectively and/or individually, dealt with this at the beginning of your lawn career(s)? Am I alone in agonizing over the decision to start, and if not, what kicked your butt(s) into gear and got you over the hurdle? Tony

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

What motivated me was knowing another person who has been mowing part time for 10 years now. After a long talk about what he did, I went home and did some math. Realized that I could do what he is doing now, and add a nice cushion to my then full time job. After some research, went out at the end of that winter and plucked down about $4k on a new Scag 48 wb, and a new 5x10 trailer, and started advertising for some customers. After my 'normal' job of 13 years closed down, (a year later) that gave me even more motivation to make a big push in lawn care. That was the best thing that ever happed to me. Make alot more $ now in my 2nd year full time than I did after 13 years with that company.

3. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Cmon Man just do it. Sell your car and get a used pickup. Then spend $2000 on a used WB or even a new 36" Belt drive. Another $500 on a backpack and $350 on a trimmer and start cutting.

If you are that scared use a 21" and just do two or three for a few weeks. Worst case scenario is that you lose a couple grand. You can always sell your stuff.

Reading about it, thinking about it and talking about are going to do nothing for you. Go out this weekend and find a neighbor or someone that needs there lawn cut an DO IT.

What you are doing now is getting you nowhere. YOU CAN DO IT!

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tony, ask yourself a few questions. #1-will my current job give me the income i want? #2-will my current job give me the lifestyle i want? #3- will my current job provide me with the time off i need? ask these 3 questions, then ask yourself if u like someone else controlling your destiny.and if you have any control over your future. if the answer to EVERY ONE of these questions isn't YES, then look at yourself in the mirror, and ask , "what are you gonna do about this?" if you answer nothing, well, i'm sorry for you. i left my job in nov. 2003, i had a few bucks saved, not that much, but i decided i needed to make a move now, right now, not in 2 weeks, a year, right now. never regretted it yet, i doubt i will.

5. CuttersCove

CuttersCove LawnSite Member

Ursus,

I would wait until next spring to start. With that in mind, you sound more prepared than most. Look at this way what's the worst than can happen? You end up doing the same damn thing you did yesterday.

You can sell the equipment so it isn't like you are wasting money.

good luck

-matt

6. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

I started with my own "home" equipment. A 22" Toro push mower, and an echo trimmer. I ran out to Lowes and bought a back pack blower and then got some business cards and spread the word around. I picked up a few lawns and man it was a hard go with a 22". I then built it up until I got enough accounts to justify a commercial mower. I bought a Toro 48" WB, a trailer and started cutting more lawns. I do this part time and currently have 19 properties.

Oh, and the transition between my personal equipment and commercial price tags scared me a little. But, as someone else said...Just Do It!!!

7. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

All great advice. Anyone with average intelligence, a willingness to work hard and a willingness to learn can do it. When we started we had people telling us that there were already too many lco's in the area. We've had at least 50% growth every year and it's still growing.

Start part-time and grow your business slowly. You CAN do it.

8. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

What finally gave me the push was after college and working for peanuts as an accountant. I was tired of having no life to make the owner(s) rich. Why work 60 hrs. a week to make someone else money while you just get by? Work 60 hrs a week to make yourself money and not only will you get more money, but you will make yourself happy.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I worked for the same LCO for over 10 years, always dreaming of the day I would tell me boss "adios". But always there was SOME reason why I wouldn't take the plunge. Year after year went by, and my boss began to "upgrade" his lifestyle, new Beemer, $800,000 house, several trips to the Carribean each year. Every time I tried to negotiate a raise he would say "the business isn't doing so well this year" (because he was keeping all the money for himself) Finally I realized that he was satisfied with where the business was at, and that a raise for me meant less money for him.

When the last straw had been broken, I went in his office and told him I was gone. I've been a lot happier ever since.

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.....

Follow your dream

and put your faith and trust in God....

...the flip side of fear is faith...

works for me...kenny.:angel: