Feast or Famine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Aug 1, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

This refers to my builders' homes that I mow. When I took them over in June (do to poor performance of another LCO) I met with the construction manager and discussed a plan to bring the model homes up to their potential. These are $400 - $750k homes, and they looked BAD! I explained that proper cutting techniques, proper irrigation schedules and proper chemical applications were the keys to success.

At this point, I can only control two of the three items listed above. They have began watering the lawns like there is no tomorrow. I have requested on several occasions for them to dial down the irrigation and they refuse. It has became a real problem because some of the model homes that have sod over 18 mos. old have began floating. I am not kidding. There are huge water bubbles below the sod and you cannot put a mower on them. In fact, you cannot even step on them.

I'm not necessarily looking for supportive answers with this post, just more curious if anyone else deals with this "floating" feeling when mowing. All I can say at this point is "prices may be on the increase" to offset the time required to tip-toe around the lawn.
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did...i just opened the control box and turned them WAY down! That's what I like about outdoor controls!
  3. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. We take care of many new construction homes, but for some reason this one builder will not listen to me. ItÂ’s religious now, the crew leader calls me every Friday morning to say the irrigation is on AGAIN and the sod is floating :realmad: I have had many meeting with builder the sales center and still they water 24/7 so what we do now is shut down the all the valves on Wednesday night and turn them back on when they are done on Friday. It is a pain but the money is well worth it..
  4. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

sometimes it is easier to talk to a gated fence then a builder ... lol .. next chance you get reset the control box and put a lock on it ... c