Feast or Famine

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Chris J, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I need help! I'm now getting this in-rush of calls from past estimates that want the jobs installed. The only complaint (not really a complaint) is that they are really small jobs! I received 6 calls today from people that I had done estimates for in the past 1 1/2 weeks with the go ahead to install their jobs (2k - 3500).
    Don't get me wrong, I like these jobs in the summer because we don't have to kill ourselves all day to get them done. However, I promised all of these people that I could have their jobs done within 10 days. If this pattern continues, I'm going to have to install an enormous amount of jobs this month. I guess we will just have to do 2 or three of them per day until we get through the rush! I told you it would be like this.
    Any of you guys want to come to Florida for some cross training? When this is over, I may ask you to let me come to your town to do the same thing. I'm always up for learning some new tricks.

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

There ya go Chris!! You knew the slowdown wasn't going to last. I've started slowing down a little here but I've started signing holiday lighting contracts so I know we have plenty to do.

3. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

Cut hay while the sun shines!

4. Chris J

Hey Sean! Good to hear from you again! How's things going up North?

5. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Geez Chris..complain when its slow...complain when you get work......I am packing my bags right now and checkin on a direct flight with Allegiant Air....you wont even have to put me up as my brother lives there on the river.
    I could stand seeing my new niece again! :)

6. Chris J

You know, it's the same ol' roller coaster every year. I'm always just a little paranoid (maybe an OCD) Come on down man! It would be great to meet you. Where does your brother live? Call me when you get here and I'll take you guys out for dinner and a comedy show!

7. JackTorsed

JackTorsed LawnSite Member
    from Utah

with How many guys/fixtures/transformers can you do in a days work generally speaking?

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

well if you cant install 6 jobs that small in 10 days you shouldnt of told them that. I know I can do a small job in a day solo. 6 Jobs in 10 days is possible. Stop yakkin on here and get er done!

9. Chris J

No Billy,
    I didn't say I had to do 6 jobs in 10 days. I said I got 6 jobs TODAY! I have a few on the schedule already, and that's not to say that I might not get another 6 calls tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day and the next day, etc........

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

yeah, I get it chris. the first job or two you get, it's like yeah ! then two more- uh, great ...and then two more, oh, crap, how can I get this done?

work it man- these folks want you and just do the best you can. make sure you have all your inventory in place. great job on getting all the work !