Feather-lite mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcr_17, Apr 30, 2004.

1. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have a client that builds houses and he has the mulch installed on the new home construction. On windy days it blows right out of the flower bed. Is this normal or should he switch mulch...or better yet, the guy that installs it?
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know what type of mulch is used in Texas. But up here we have Fir tree bark mulch. It comes in 4 different sizes. We always use the corse grade because it doesn't blow out like the fine ground stuff. The corse grade will holdup to 60 mph winds pretty well. The fine stuff blows out with as little as 20 mph winds.
  3. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I'm not sure what type it is exactly. I plan to talk with the builder and see if he will switch because it looks better when it stays in the flower bed and not all over the yard. It's bad on the blades as well.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I know that some people use wood chips that are about 1x1 inch square. This is by far the worst material that I have seen for mulch. It is so light that is blows everywhere but worse yet is that it floats, so when it rains this stuff goes where the water flows.
    I know that different areas use different mulches and here the premium mulch is shreaded cedar. Its real light, smells great, looks great and stays put once down.
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here, shredded hardwood is the premium mulch. Looks great, holds well and all that. I don't bother to offer customers anything else.