Febco Follies

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Jun 6, 2011.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Don't let them freeze. you're always replacing backflows.:hammerhead:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

testcocks are becoming a headache - Wilkins did not always use good ones

I could envision a return to old-style petcocks, that don't use a ball-valve-style closure ~ no need to winterize them.

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

They do suck, I get a lot of calls for a drip at a testcock and only replace it or cap it will fix it. They cost more than a 1" ball valve.

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I dunno!
    I like dc's :)

this is a decent example of a proper install. 12" below ground, double box, 6" ground clearance, double union, gravel at the bottom.

+ The green boxes look cooler

I took this pic specifically for irritation to see a decent dcva install

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

5. Looks like the way to go to me too mitch. One thing Texas and Washington have in common.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I wish we could use them. Less freeze damage due to being in the box, and in my opinion we could then extend our watering season 2-4 weeks on each end. We are devastated with winter kill this year in the turf. Dry winter, no snow cover. The sun beats up the turf and the roots even in the winter.Anything south facing with a good slope to it is just dead. I take care of the system at my bank, and I make it the first and last system to be on. I monitor it a lot, wrap the RP with insulation, and have a fake rock over it. I may turn the water off a few times at the first BV and drain the RP out a few times. But everything else near the bank looks like crap.

7. I wish we could send you some of our rain. Pouring again today and still have 85% left of a record snow pack. My fishing is being ruined along with a lot of flooded homes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I know. My brother up there keeps me updated. Some of our mtn. towns are seeing some flooding too. Steamboat Springs especially. The Yampa River is overflowing, and causing damage. Nothing like the midwest flooding areas, but still.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I like it, Mitch! The only change I made to my installs was we used a brass tee and a 6" brass nip for the q.c. winterize port. Reason? We melted a few sch 40 fittings when one of the crew would forget to dial-down the compressor, so I just made brass standard to absorb the heat.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

This is why I will not leave a backflow on for the winter. I want to be sure there is no chance water will enter and ruin it. If it does not have unions I'll cut and install in the spring.