Febco Follies

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Bicycle pumps work great to winterize BF, only need about 7psi to do the job, left the shut-offs at a 45 degree angle. Never had one freeze. :clapping:

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't meet building codes here. Can't have unions on either side, and if you take it off, it is SUPPOSED to have a new permit and inspected again to make sure it meets minimum heights. The local city parks people did that this winter, and found out you can't do that.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If drained properly, a PVB and RP only need draining, no pump or compressor.

4. Mike Leary

For an area that has such a Suffock County attitude towards backflow testing, I find that rather disingenuous. :hammerhead:

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That is code. Doesn't mean it is enforced. I would think the RPs being taken off in the high visibility areas in the parks and medians is what caught the eye of Regional Building.

6. Mike Leary

True, true, I once quit testing for a purveyor who made me look like the horse's ass I am by not enforcing his own code.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I find it interesting that the BPs with jammed components I've seen were all Febco products

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Is it because of the higher percentage and overall number of the Febcos? Here, I would say Febco is about 80-90%, and the rest is a mix of Watts, Wilkins, Conbraco, and some misc. AVBs in place of what should be a PVB. So given the high percentage, we would see primarily Febcos failing.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely the vast majority of installs, but the designs have a lot to do with it. A Wilkins 720 can't get jammed like a Febco 765 does - that poppet has the same sort of cylindrical guide that the check valve covers have on a Febco DCVA

10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

hey mike,

that actually wasn't my install. Just wanted to show that they are out there