Fed up with commercial 21"s!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jul 20, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Well I'm getting ready to sell off or trade back my new exmark 21" that I traded my toro and older toro commercials for. I just don't think they're worth it. Most of my lawns can be cut with the 46" or a 32" if I get one. That way I'll be the most productive. I'm really starting to like the cheaper 21"s the snapper makes. They get the job done and still leave a nice cut. I just think it's a waste to spend $1200 on a 21" that really isn't going to have the speed power or performance to get any work done. The rider or a w/b leaves a much better cut and can get through thick stuff a lot quicker. So the snappers are good because they are much cheaper and work fine as a trim mower or back up. And are A LOT lighter! Anyone agree with me??

2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I bought a 21" commercial Gravely. Didn't pay $1,200 but it is just not productive. Now I'm looking for a good deal on a 32" w/b.

Exmark Lazer Z AS 52" Ultra-cut
    Husqvarna 4824 ZTR
    Gravely Pro-cut 21"
    Stihl 4-Mix Kombi
    Stilh 2-cycle Kombi
    Stihl BG-85 Hand-held
    Redmax 2300 trimmer
    Redmax Hedge Trimmer
    Shindawia Back-pack
    McClain Edger
    Agri-Fab Aerator
    7' X 12' Pro-Pull Trailer
    1995 Silverado

3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

agreed I love my old snapper. it is very lightweight as well

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I purchased a snapper 21"

and I hate it....

Of corse I used to run snappers back when they were good, before the company got into trouble

5. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

Last year i bought a honda powered ( not self propelled ) ( i think a troy bilt ), it was like $250, definitely lack the power ( maybe a 5 or 6 hp engine) and cut of my w/b ....... so i raised the idle 500-1000 rpms ( i am guessing ) and i always make sure the blade is sharp, and it cuts really well, discharge is way way less clumping, and the mulching is untraceable ....

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I am a big fan of 2 cycle 21" lawnboys with the side bagger

7. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I buy those little $99 3.5 HP MTDs or Murrays. Can pick them up with one hand and swing them onto the truck or trailer. For the 15 minutes a day I need it it works great. Never even bother to check or change the oil.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I, too, consider my 21" Toro a bad investment. When I did the math of how long it would take for the accounts that I need it on - to actually just pay for the stupid mower - I realized it was a poor investment. I gave away my 21" accounts... I'll never buy another 21" again...

9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I like these two, except I don't use the bagger.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've always disliked these puny yet heavy wheeled trimmers, they are so useless to me that I never have owned one.
    And yeah, the price for a supposed commercial model is just a tee outrageous too.