federal gov. contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by groundskeeperpensacola, Feb 12, 2007.

1. groundskeeperpensacola

groundskeeperpensacola LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience bidding or maintaining property for the federal government? Is it always lowest bid wins? Is it worth all the paperwork? Are they a PITA?
  2. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bid on them, didn't get um so i can't answer on how big of a pita they are but yes they go to the lowest bidder (at least the couple i bid on did) The state is the same way i did get that one, i kind of like it because you know you are going to get your money and a pretty good idea of when. If you send your bills out always the 1st, you will alway get your check a month a 1 week after you send it out
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah always low bidder. it is written in the rules that low bidder will win. Now every one knows this and bids a bit higher. Only problem is figuring out how high. I have landed a couple of one times and it is a while before you get paid. Trying to get in touch with who you need is a bear. Good luck and get your duns number and make sure you have insurance for at least a mil.
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Bid on and got 4 federal buildings. Total pain. Lots of hassle, you have to use or exceed their listed pay rates for certain tasks. Lots of security hassle and they gripe a lot, but never paid on time. They asked us to continue on, we declined.
    Much of this may have been because of the person in charge, but I think it is standard procedure.
  5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

The low baller can have them because I don't want them
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

do a search on this subject, look at the people that have dealt with HUD housing, since that is federal also.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I've bid on the USA Alliance Contract (ya know where the Shuttle takes off)

It must be 50 pages long ..... drug test .... security test ...OSHA everything ...equip list ...bond ....ya gotta pay the workers a set rate when on Cape property (3 years ago the min was $13.48 per hr ....back when I was paying $8.50 which was on the high side)

Ssoo what I'm getting at is ....not everyone can bid on em as they can't meet the requirements ...so it's not necessary the cheapest guy ....but it will be the lowest "qualified" bidder
  8. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have bid on USDA / HUD houses and got the contracts for the last several years. Most of these houses are in good neighborhoods. no complaints and get paid on time every time. i average about 10/wk may be different ones each week as they are sold. good money for them too.:usflag:
  9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Federal government contracts represent a bit of a paperwork challenge to complete.
    Once you are through the initial hurdles, my experiences with the Feds and local municipalities has always been very positive.
    Provided you and your business meet the written criteria for the bid, I'd say go for it.
  10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of paper work like everyone says. I picked up some county gov. bids once and there were about 50 pages of OSHA BS cutting height, blades, guards and safety wear...and the kicker

You havta write a check for 10% of your estimate to give to them to hold as a security to make sure you come through on the work.