Feed back on propane

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by gregwl77, Mar 4, 2012.

1. gregwl77

gregwl77 LawnSite Member

It's time for some new equipment and I'm thinking about going to propane.... Exmark turf tracer 48" for walkbehind and possibly kubota for zero turn. I'm looking for feed back on propane use, as well as the units above. Thanks for the input!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Conversions to propane is starting to get hot since the propane is at $2.25
    a gallong and expected to go down in the summer. We have three units converted. The cost to convert is $500 after getting a $1K rebate from state.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I know there is a slight power loss with propane due to lower BTU, but do you get more hours per gallon?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

You in theory use about 20% more propane per hr (basic math behind it). Some in the industry says 7% or nothing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cgaengineer

Combine that with the power loss and it seems like you are going backwards.

Now increase compression ratio on sai engine and you should be able to squeeze more hp running propane. Than you would need direct injection.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well I just used 10 gallong in 5.8hrs on a Turf tiger with mulch kit on. It has teh vangard on it 61" So $3.87 per hour. It has plenty of power. Don't know how much gas this unit was always propane.

7. cgaengineer

That don't seem like much savings considering the aggravation of having to fill up at a propane place.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I go in to the dealer every week anyway and I have 6 tanks so that holds me for a week. We brought out a business who had already converted two so kinda stuck. Today I discovered that my Tiger Cub ran 13 hours on a 10 gallon tank. I was floored.

9. amscontr

amscontr LawnSite Member

We use a V twin B+S 16 hp propane hydraulic unit to power a huge log splitter and the fuel savings is amazing. A 20 lb BBQ size tanks runs our splitter all winter on 1 tank. Compared to a couple gallons a day @ 4.00 gal gas?

10. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member