Feed grade urea

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Brandyanna, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Brandyanna

Brandyanna LawnSite Member

I was looking for a small prill N source for a very light early spring appl while soil temps are down. Anybody have any experience or opinion on feed grade urea used for a granular app.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Brandyanna

Feed Grade Urea Is water soluble and 100 % fast release. It also require some microbe activity to be available to the plant. Microbes are more active at higher soil temp. Now you are interested in a light Application. You might find that hard to do evenly. A standard spreader is not designed to put down that small of a prill. Lesco makes a 46-0-0 spreadable Urea, that might better suit your needs. The big difference is the prill size. Or you may find it easier to spray Food grade Urea.

Yes Commercial Live stock is fed straight Urea as a protein source. Generally this is a supplement mixed into a grain feed. The Tree Hugger could have a field day with some of the other Hormones that are also added.

3. Brandyanna

Brandyanna LawnSite Member

Thanks Ric,

I have a hand held spreader that I have had good success with spreading small prill 21-0-0 with, I will do a test and see if it will spread evenly down at the rate I am after. My reason for not using a larger prill was I thought at under .5 lb N per 1000 sq. ft I would not get enough down to get uniform greening. I am trying to get just a little greening before my organic N source kicks in with warmer temps.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bradyanna

Stay with the 21-0-0 Ammonium sulfate if you want fast green up in cooler soil temp. I am not going into a Fertilizer Lesson here with the reasons why. You will just have to buy My book when it is done. But (NH4)2SO4 is more available to the Plant than (NH2)2CO

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

When are you publishing Ric

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dishboy

There is no need to hit the EDIT button and rewrite your post. Your first reply is the one that is e-mailed. Yes they have banned me from the orgasmic forum. But that doesn't mean I am totally against orgasm.:D I only disagree with all the misinformation that they spew there. I actually incorporate organic fertilizer into my program. The big difference between me and the moderator who banned me is. I actually have a degree in horticulture, work in the Green Industry and have taught college level horticulture. He is a retired Government civil engineer with no experience in the green industry.

Now to answer your Question about salt index of Ammonium Sulfate vs Urea. In Fact sodium nitrate is the base from which the salt index is based and give it a value of 100. Urea is in fact 1/2 the salt content of Ammonium Sulfate. Your 1 pound Urea per thousand in the fall will in fact be more damaging to those Microbes because of the long winter than the 1/2 pound of Ammonium Sulfate in the spring, which is absorbed by the turf very quickly. The Urea must be converted by microbial activity to NO3 before it can be absorbed by the turf. As the winter soil temperature decreases so does the microbial activity. Ammonium Sulfate is readily available to the turf plant and is absorbed quickly. 1/2 pound of AS has the same amount of salt as 1 pound of urea. But the difference is the time of year that effects the damage that the tree huggers think is caused.

It is not what you use, But how and when you use it.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dishboy

Let me also add that the 24% sulfur in Ammonium Sulfate has a salt cleaning effect on the exchange sites. We treat salt spray on ocean front property with straight sulfur.

8. I want a FREE signed version!

Send another one to bobby!

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tim

If I ever finish it. I will charge Booby twice and pass the savings on to you.

10. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

"Let me also add that the 24% sulfur in Ammonium Sulfate has a salt cleaning effect on the exchange sites. We treat salt spray on ocean front property with straight sulfur."

Ammonium sulfate has one of the highest salt indexes of any fertilizer. Also the most acidifying per pound of N.
    For the quickest green in cool weather, use a fert with ammonium NITRATE -- still relatively cheap. Will last about 4-6 weeks.