Feedback needed on a Toro 32" single blade WB.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloSulkySurfer, Mar 24, 2008.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Curious what everyones experience has been with the Toro 32" single blade walk behinds? The mower im looking at has a floating deck and a 12.5 Kohler engine. What would you pay for one in very good shape (its genuinely homeowner owned). It is probably from the late 90's. How is this mower at mulching with that single blade? I woud be buying it to replace a 32" suetech as my trim mower which honestly is only partially meant for commercial use. How will the toro handle a sulky? Is the 12.5hp Kohler any good compared to the 9hp Kawi on my suetech (oil filter)? Thanks for the help guys!

2. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

I have a 32" Toro W/B belt drive with the Kohler 12.5. Purchased it used from the church that we maintain every Friday. Paid $ 800 for it about ten years ago. I also purchased the bagging system. It does not mulch very good with the standard blade. Go with the mulching blade and use the kickers underneath the deck. I purchased the mulching blade sold by Rotary thru my dealer. I think Oregon also sells both standard and mulching blades. I do not use a sulky since the machine is belt driven. Do a search here and I think you will find that most members do not recommend using a sulky with a belt drive. If you decide to buy your mower and need additional info. please e-mail me.

3. SoloSulkySurfer

Thanks for the help I should also add that this mower has the T-bar controls.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I have one does quite well. Its my favorite. Lawnboy Dan also have one and seems to really like his too.

5. SoloSulkySurfer

Do their small tires tend to leave more ruts then the average WB?

Do you see the single blade as a disadvantage?

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Really don't have a problem with ruts. But I try to run a different pattern everytime I mow.

I see no dis advantage to the single blade. If anything I view it as an advantage. Only 1 spindle to worry about, only one belt from the engine to the spindle. As far as cut it does pretty good. In heavier conditions you will want a gator or end up double cutting.

Its a long mower, but for me its not an issue.

7. SoloSulkySurfer

Bump. So what would you guys pay?

8. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I paid $750 for mine but that included an almost new x2 velke. So probably around $550 for the mower.

Mine is a 94 though.

9. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

it least its got a better engine than the one i had. mine had a briggs and the toro much kit. but the engine was really worn out so it didn't mulch good. it side dishcharged good tho. I paid $500 for mine.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have 2 and just love them. use a gator blade for mulching-impressive results. yes will pull a sulky with no prob ! the most reliable mowers i have ever owned. i think 800$ is about right for used value. ruts not a prob as these are the lightest wb in their class. only neg-belt slippige when moring dew is an issue