Feedback on 04 toro proline 21" mowers with 6.5 Kawasaki or 5.5 Honda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Sep 18, 2004.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you who have bought or used 04 toro proline 21" mowers with the 6.5 kawasaki or 5.5 honda motors, how have they been? Are the engines better than the 6 hp kawasaki and 5.5 hp Suzuki engines they replaced?

2. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

We purchased a 2004 6.5HP Kawasaki 21 inch Toro Proline (3 speed with BBC) model 22177 this April. Estimate we have 75 or more hours on it now without any issues. This mower is used to mulch mow small residentials most of the time, sometimes bag. Seems to mow well mulching or bagging. Engine seems to have plenty of power, starts first time. With 10W30 Mobil One oil it uses about 2 ounces of oil each 12 to 15 hours. The one gallon fuel tank seems to run around 6 to 7 hours before empty in light to moderate grass conditions. I chose this over the 5.5 Honda for the extra HP/torque, oil filter, and one gallon tank. We paid $999 for this unit.

We also have a 1986 (20624 high end residential) 21 inch 3 speed BBC Toro with the 5HP 4 cycle Suzuki. This mower cuts well but in heaver grass conditions you notice the engine power difference to the 6.5 Kawasaki.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have a suzuki 5.5 proline and the Honda motors on Honda comercials. The Honda motor has great power and fuel economy plus trouble free longevity Since it is lighter than the Kaw it would be my choice if forced to buy a 4-stroke proline.