1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Feedback On 48" Tiger Cubs By Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOWERSALES, Sep 17, 2002.

MOWERSALES LawnSite Member
    from KY

2. Oliver1850

Oliver1850 LawnSite Member

Are you asking about the 2001 or 2002 Tiger Cub. Considerable impovements were made for 2002?

Why the 48"? The 52" may be a better choice, particularily for cutting closeness, i.e. less trimming.

I have the 2002 Tiger Cub with 52" deck and 23 KAW. I am very impressed with this machine. The compactness is a huge plus versus the larger machines.

The advantage deck is awesome in the wet heavy Spring grasses and I especially like the front adjustable baffle.

The maintenance is very accessible. All filters, drain plugs, belts and clutches are within easy reach. I especially like the greasable, cast iron spindles. After replacing spindle bearings on my 2001 Laser, I never want to do that again.

The Cub lays a decent stripe, however, not as consistent and agressive as my Laser. It stripes better now that I adjusted the front pitch, put higher lift blades on and added a chain kit. According to my dealer Scag has a striping kit in the works for next Spring.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any particular questions.
  3. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i have been informed by the scag rep that the 2003 cub will be the biggest bang for the buck.. it will feature a 61" advantage deck and a 25 kohler price will be 6195.00
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

A 61" deck on a CUB? That sounds nice ... The only thing that I see there is that may sort of defeat the purpose of the cub's compactness. There are places that I go taht you can't even take a 52" deck. I've enjoyed my 48" deck STC for almost two years now. Been through a few belts but I think that was my fault, and also a tire that I know was my fault. So far, I like it. I'm planning on getting a bagger from Scag later, prob. the Cougar.
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 2002 Scag Tiger Cub 23HP Kawi with 52" Deck. I have ran the piss out of it on some rough properties all year without a hitch. Everything is working great and I would buy another in a minute.

Built like a Tank!

6. Precision Care

Precision Care LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I had a 2001 48" cub w/19Kaw. I put a mulch kit on and the grass disappeared. It did a great job. I traded it in for a 2002 sabor tooth 61" w/27 h2o cooled kaw. It to has a mulch kit. I also got that fancy seat and it is worth every penny. My only complaint is if the grass collection system for the 2001 cub is the same for the 2002 sabor tooth I would not give $5.00 for it.

Precision Care Lawn Service
  7. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I also have a SCAG CUB 52" deck and 23hp k. Oliver1850 and jimbo said it all about the cub. Great machine, can't wait for a stripping kit next year. :dizzy:
  8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeffrey Lee, how do you like the saber tooth? Does it mulch as well as the cub?
  9. hope they bring out a stripeing kit for the walkbehinds to

Strickdad that 6195 is a good bang for the buck. Buddy of mine paid 7400 for a 2002 with 23 horse kaw and 52 inch deck
  10. Zacks Lawn Care

Zacks Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 tiger cub 23 Kaw 52 advantage deck.Worked all of yesterday replacing spring that holds tension on hydro pump belt.The machine only has 150 hrs on it,needless to say I was seeing Exmark red by the end of the day.This was the second time I have had spring problems,had to replace broken deck spring at 70 hrs.