Feedback on Billy Goat 33" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jul 7, 2004.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering purchasing the Billy Goat 33" mower but would like to get some feedback on the unit from people who own it. I had the chance to try one out this week. This is what I found:
    1. Cut is very good in side discharge mode. I did not have a chance to mulch with it. Is it a good mulcher?
    2. Grass was not very tall or thick on test properties. How does the unit perform in lush turf?
    3. Drive mechanism is not user friendly. Too fast to mow in 4th gear and the unit immediately goes up to a gear's top speed when the drive lever is depressed. There is no gradual acceleration. Is there a way to correct this.
    4. Briggs engine was tough to start at times and consumes a lot of gas quickly. In about 45 minutes of testing, nearly 3/4 of the tank was consumed by the machine.

Thanks for the feedback.

2. joed

Can anyone provide any feedback?

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Joe...Neil @W.E. Told Me a Few came back in the Spring because they Couldn't Handle Lush Turf at All...One Guy ran it neXt to his Troy Bilt33" & the Troy Bilt Cut Better....Call Greg @4WD Equipment...He has my 36" Toro Hydro w/Very Low Hrs that I don't Need any more...Should be around 2k...

4. joed

Fareway,

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke to Neil at W.E. about them. He did mention that a few came back but mostly due to the owner not being happy with the control mechanisms. He also said that considering that both the troybilt and billy goat are the same price, the billy goat is much better built. Thanks for the offer on the 36" toro but that is too big for my properties.

5. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi . I bought the Billy Goat 33 about 6 weeks ago. I love the cut . I have the mulch kit to and it does a good job at slower speeds. I am running the Gator style blade on top with a hi-lift on bottom with the side discharge.It looks like I bagged the grass because the clippings are so fine. I have found you do not need to choke it when starting. Maybe when it is cold out. It goes through all gates I have .It also takes up very little trailer space also.This unit blows away the Troybilt 33. I tried them both. The troybilt is more of the home owner quaulity.

6. joed

Thanks Bntt68 for the reply. Is there a way to make the drive lever mechanism work better? I am glad to hear that the mulch kit works well. Do you find that the Briggs engine consumes too much fuel?

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Talk with gary on his Quick 36. He has a banner on top. His mower is a hydro with electric Start.
    John

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Joe, the eXtra 3" is Too Big ?!?!

I can get a 36" through 90% of gates....Look what you get Over the BG 33"...

-Dual Hydro Pumps & Wheel Motors/T-Bar-Effortless Operation
    -Unit has a Baffled Mulch Kit installed-Not a block-off plate like the BG...
    -15hp Kohler
    -Take the Kit off is Spring---Install doubles & Blow through Lush Turf !

While I'm not a Huge Fan of SFS Deck it still Beats the BG.....An 8k Walk w/Low Hrs,,Well Maintained,, @ a Very Sweet Price...

What's the BG Go For ? Around $1800 w/Tax ?!?

--Not Selling on LS ---It's Been Traded In...I Recieve No Monetary Gain !

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 36" proline with the hydro and I think the dual Hydro is great. I tried the BG33" and for small properties with a lot of backing up the Hydro is so much quicker and easier. It also will turn much easier. The hydro will cost much less over time because you will produce much more work with it. I have not found a gate to small for the 36" but I still have to use my 21" on 3 jobs because of scalping. I don't think the 33" would be any different. Look into it and good luck on the purchase.