1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Feedback on Encore Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bbahun, Jun 24, 2008.

1. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

I am just trying to get some information on encore from those of you that run them or have run them in the past. I know that they had a few issues early on but I have not herd anything about them lately. Please chime in if you have any experience with these mowers.
  2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Most everybody I know of that runs them likes them. Just make sure you have good dealer support. Most of the dealers in this area stock the 34" Fuzion and that's it (at least the two that were 45-50 minutes away did). I wouldn't buy from a dealer that didn't stock at least a few different models.
  3. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

Anybody else want to chime in?
  4. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

I used to have a 32" walkbehind...
    Had it for 3 years with no problems...Except the motor that was on it was a 12hp Briggs....Motor was a POS!!!!

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had there hydro walks for years and they are very tought to beat! I also run some 72" Prowlers which is one of the finest big mowers I have ever owned! Never broke down and they strip like a walk behind! The Only real drawback is lack of HP!
  6. CGlisson

CGlisson LawnSite Member

I've heard the WB's removable gas tanks leak...go figure. You get what you pay for, we'll leave it at that
  7. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 36" Encore WB and it has well over 2,000 hrs on it. I think they have the best cut quality in the market. They put down one great looking stripe. Its so good that it looks like you have a striper kit on it but you dont.
  8. JacksonLawns

JacksonLawns LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Pro Series walk behind. This is my second season with it and I bought it used. It had been used by an apartment complex for one season before me. I have had zero problems with it. I think it cuts and stripes fantastic and has no stripe kit.
    The only two things that I don't care for are the "mulch kit" which is just a steel plate that covers the side chute (that is what I was given anyway). I don't use it unless it is a small yard with landscaping that won't allow me to cut without blowing into beds. If cutting thick and/or tall grass when you make a turn away from the discharge chute there is a line of grass left where the steel plate doesn't seal against the deck. you have to either double cut or do extra blowing.
    I change the blade height often and to take the blades off you have to take the deck cover off to reach the bolts/nuts for the blades on the top side of the deck. I like the Exmark decks that have holes in the cover allowing you to remove the blades without removing the cover.

Those are minor issues for me. I do side discharge most of the time and removing the cover isn't the end of the world to remove the blades. Overall I really like my Encore a lot.

9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

You heard wrong.

The only problem with the removable gas tank is that the quick connect is about a 1/2 inch above the bottom of the tank so even if you have gas in the tank, once you get down to a certain level, the gas will not get into the hose.

Encores are good durable mowers that are easy to work on in the field. I have been using them for almost 15 years and like them.
  10. JacksonLawns

JacksonLawns LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that part too...my removable tank does not leak. Like In2Mown said, the mower will die before the tank is actually empty.