Feedback on JD 110 TLB or suitable alternatives

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by danmc, Jul 10, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

Does anyone have experience with this machine? Here's the story- we need a backhoe but a 14' backhoe is out of the question because my boss wants to be able to transport this between the estate in NJ and the farm in South Carolina. I've done some research and it seems the 110 is a good alternative. It'll be mainly used for one big project - we have to tear down about 1000 yards of hedgerow (including some decent sized trees and trunks) and have to dig a trench in place of the hedgerow to keep cows from coming onto the property. We'll also be using it to move around snow piles in the wintertime and for moving around soil. mulch, etc...
    Thought about maybe a mini excavator and a skidsteer as an alternative. Also, are there any compact tractors with backhoe attachments that would be just as good as the 110?

Thanks in advance for any input!
  2. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Have a look at Kubota and Deere. I don't know much about the Kubota but I know that the Deere 4x10 have a backhoe available and it will come off in less than 10 min. I have a 4410 with a loader and love the backhoe though. Hope that helps...
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The kubota L48 is a much better choice. I have looked at both. The JD 110 is mostly plastic. There are no gauges or controls in front of you, they are all on one side. So it could be very easy to no pay attention to it and scew something up the gauges were warning about. The L48 are right in front of you. Puts its mostly steel.
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on how big a machine you require, the Kubota L35 and B21 are also excellent machines. Like the L48, they are engineered as tractor-loader-backhoes and will perform and hold up much better than comparable size tractors with backhoe attachments.
  5. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

I owned a Kubota L48, and was happy with the performance except that the loader lacks a little. Traded it on our full size Case 580 last winter. This past spring I decided that our landscape operation could not be without a small backhoe. After looking at the JD, we decided to purchase it. After having used teh JD 110 for a few months, I think it is a better TLB than the Kubota. The JD has a creep forward feature that is great for trenching, and even though the specs are slightly less capacity than the L48, I think the loader & backhoe have just a little more power. In all, both are good machines, you will need to decide which one will have better service local to you & which machine is more comfortable for you to use.