Feedback on John Deere 240 skid steer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JeffD, Dec 27, 2003.

1. JeffD

JeffD LawnSite Member
    from MN

Does anyone here have, or used a John Deere 240 skid steer? I found a nice used one for a decent price, and am looking for any kind of feedback, from people that have operated these.

Thanks. Jeff

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

We have a JD 260 where I work, at a large nursery and landscape outfit, as the head mechanic. It has right at 2200 hrs and has had no major problems so far. JD uses the Yanmar diesel engine. No problems so far. The hydraulics are strong, its easy to maintain. The ground speed is a lil slower than our Bobcat skid steers. The operator controls are simple and if they need adjustment its a simple turn of a bolt here and there to set it all straight. But I will warn ya.. parts are expensive if you do need any. An alternator is around 300 and a water pump is 350 should you need one. The engine is basically the same one that JD uses in their 5000 series tractors. All standard skid steer attachments will fit it also, just be sure to check the weights and the GPM flow for any hyd attachments. All in all, its a lot of machine for the money, even new, they are reasonablely priced.

3. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

Little insight here: reason for it being decent price, not many people like them. I haven't used one, but I know a guy who business is light excavating. He brought one because of the decent price. His qoute: "Biggest mistake I have made yet... I want my Bobcat back"

Parts: yep, there expensive. JD has the best parts/dealership network in the country. That is why us farmers (I'm a farmer first, new lawn installation guy second:) love JD tractors and combines.

4. JeffD

JeffD LawnSite Member
    from MN

sidebuz, what were his reasons for not liking the JD? Was it because he had always ran a Bobcat?

The nearest Bobcat dealer to me is 40 miles away, and the nearest JD dealer is 15 miles away. I like that you can get ANY part for JD equipment, even if it's 40+ years old.

xcopterdoc, I can deal with the machine being a little slower, since it is only for my personal use.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Not long after I purchased my 250 I praised it. Really liked it and so on. Now with a mere 275 hours on it, I will get rid of it in spring and buy another brand. I have had two failures with it costing me big money. It has limited hours on it, but being two seasons old it is out of warranty. The failures are quality control issues that Deere is addressing on an "as needed basis". They are poor quality parts and design issues that I think should be a recall item, but they will not recall them. I have talked as high as the regional manager and have pretty much wasted my time. The first failure was at $3100 for parts and labor, another $300 for machine rental, another $225 for an attachment I had to rent because the machine they gave me to use was not high flow, therefore, I could not use the $5000 auger I just purchased. That's not counting the day and a half of labor I lost. You can't get back good working days once you've lost them. Also, they took three weeks to fix the machine. Second failure was another poor design part that broke rendering the machine immobile. That was about $500 of my time wasted with downed men because of it. I have told the regional rep that I guess with their new "Series II" and the over 100 improvements, that I only have 98 more breakdowns to go and my machine will be fully updated. I'm not waiting to find out how many more times this machine will disappoint me.

To be fair, I really like everything about the machine. It is a leader in it's weight and size class as far as horsepower and lifting capacity, I just cannot afford to ride with them any longer. The dealers have had many problems with them as well as many satisfied customers who have identical machines with no problems. So it really has been a tough decision but one I am forced to make. My business cannot afford this hit and miss type of equipment. I fully understand that other machines have failures as well, but a risk I guess I have to take.

6. JeffD

JeffD LawnSite Member
    from MN

Randy, what were the exact problems you had with your 250?

Jeff

7. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 240 new in '00 and the only complaint I have is that I didn't go bigger. JD has done a few updates to it at no cost to me. These were mainly safety issues like controls not locking out in park. I have to bring it in for another one next week that will make the hand controls a little lighter.

8. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

Jeff- He told me this year... year and half ago. He mentioned a couple things that broke w'in the first 200 hr., but I can't remember exact details. I was kind of shocked at the time because all of the farm magazines were "singing praises" to JD. Sorry I can't help you more.

Me personally, I run a Mustang 940 (38 HP Yanmar motor, lifts 1300 lbs, 18 GPM on the aux. hyd). Brought it $11,000 Dec. 2000. Sell for around 9500 now. The only thing I had to do was replace the radiator and basic maintanance. Good skid steer for the $$. If I was to trade right now, New Holland LS180 would be the way I go. Lots of used ones available. Can lift a pallet of sod or bricks. Nice units. Ideally, a Cat skid steer with tracks would be nice. But I sure can't afford one!! Good luck on your purchase!

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

All the ground wires on the wiring harness were too small of a gauge wire, thus resulting in the shorting out and not being able to handle the necessary loads of voltage and causing the machine to loose a series of 5 solenoids causing the machine hydraulics to lock and leave it immobile. In the process it wiped out the main gauge board in the cab and needing a complete new wiring harness.

Next failure was the control rods below the cab that attach the sticks to the hydros, the part broke because of a halfazz setup of welding. Those were an update item as well. Then when taking them off to take to dealership, the design and placement of the hydro lines left it nearly impossible to get apart. Just cheesy engineering if you ask me.

The whole deal just has me pissed off and sick of Deere. You have to ask yourself, when does it end, and when do I make it end?

I'm a small company and every little penny counts. The fact that Deere knows this is a problem and they have updated parts for the problems, is admission that it's a BIG problem but won't recall their product. That's NOT customer service or standing behind their product. It's called, "let's take care of those that piss and moan the most" otherwise let them pay for it.

I tried to be unbiased with my first response and although they may have good machines for the most part, I cannot or will not endorse their product or purchase any more unless they want to take my machine back and work some good numbers on a Series II machine. I have no faith left in this machine.

10. JeffD

JeffD LawnSite Member
    from MN

Thanks for the replies guys! It looks like I will be buying a 240. I understand others having problems, but I know if this question was asked about ANY machine, negitive feedback, could be found. I will only use this machine about 100 hours a year, for misc jobs on 4 acres of land.

Thanks again. :)

Jeff