Feedback on Kohler 23

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Nov 22, 2005.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for all feedback, good bad and ugly, for a 2003 23 hp kohler engine. Please report all the pros and cons that you can think of. I am looking at getting a used mower with this engine, that is why I ask. Thanks.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The kohlers are great motors, dependable, and long lasting. They have more torque than Kawasakis with the same horsepower.

I have a 22hp comand with 1600 hours on it, the motor has never been touched out side of changing oil and adjusting valves. I'v seen them with 2000hrs and no rebulid.

Im my honest opinion you can't go wrong with a Kohler they never fail.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Love my Kohler

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

mine is an 18hp, and I love it. very simple engine. not much that can go wrong with them.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The 23 kohlers do just fine, they don't however have more torque than the Kawasakis.........it's the other way around. The Kawis have a few more foot pounds of torque than the Kohlers but it isn't anything you will notice in the real world. And by the way, torque and horsepower measurements these days are a tad suspect anyway............

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not to ruin the fun, but I dont really trust a company that makes crappers and sinks as well as engines. Get a kawi :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

7. TClawn

yeah, they are not rated like the diesels. which is a more real assesment of what you have to work with. I guess as long as they all have the same rating system.

8. TClawn

lol. so, they are a diversified company, if the engine market plumets, they will still have the toilet and sink market. but don't judge the engines by their toilets. :blob3:

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Take it from someone who runs them day in and day out, they are great motors, Ive had nothing but problems from those "JAP" motors

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not trying to be smart with you, But I'm wondering how you adjusted the valves on a 22hp Kohler Command engine ?