Feedback on lightfair 08

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Lite4, May 30, 2008.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

So, I was talking to Tommy yesterday. He was at lightfair and I was wiring a fuseblock. (He was having more fun). I got a little bit of the skinny on some of the products and vendors down there. Anybody find anything new of or improved that they noticed? How was the turnout?

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

It is a pretty good show with a lot to see. I spent two days looking around and could probably spend several more hours looking around.

James, I was surprised to see that the LEDs that you were showing (you weren't there when I came by) were not even on. How can someone see what these things can do if they won't even show them illuminated. I asked the guy who was there about this and he told me to buy some to see what they look like. How stupid is that?? This guy paid, I don't know how much to be in this show and then doesn't even really show is stuff. I sure won't pay to buy something that the owner won't even show at an event like Lightfair!! I my opinion it must be something that he doesn't want to show off.

There were some very interesting fixtures and LEDs from all of the usual suspects but I was surprised that Hadco and some other major manufacturers were not here. It's always nice to visit with Hiroshi of HK and he has some really cool stuff out at a very reasonable price.

More later, I'm off again,

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Kumho? That's the brand name? Most search engine results I can find under that name are tires (or tyres).

4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I thought too Gregg, I thought they made tires.

5. irrig8r

Looked like the Kumho parent company also own an airline and a rental car business... and into construction, etc., but I didn't see anything about lighting.

Maybe a different Kumho?

Ahhh found something...

Basic Information
    Company Name: Kumho Electric, INC.
    Business Type: Manufacturer
    Product/Service: LED
    Number of Employees: Above 1000 People
    Trade & Market
    Main Markets: North America
    South America
    Western Europe
    Eastern Europe
    Eastern Asia
    Southeast Asia
    Mid East
    Africa
    Oceania
    Total Annual Sales Volume: Above US$100 Million​

Kumho Electric Inc. became a household name in Korea for its ubiquitous brand of 'Bongaepyo' lighting bulbs which were pioneered by us and expected to lead the future lighting industry of Korea and abroad in the new millennium.

Kumho Electric Inc. established as a hydro-measuring equipment manufacturer in 1935, began a large-scale production of electric lighting inventions focusing on incandescent lamps which obtained the first-governmental certification of Korean Industrial Standard (KS).

The successful pioneering and marketing of Kumho lighting products in Korean market have been underpinned by the company's strenuous efforts in the research and development to provide the top quality lamps satisfying the diverse range of needs of ever demanding customers.

Kumho Electric Inc. in recent years has undergone a successful restructuring which saw a diversification and improvement of their traditional products and advancing into such state-of-the-art products as CCFL which represents a key element of the worldwide TFT-LCD industry.

We sincerely hope that this homepage will serve our customers as an effective and useful window of communication between the customers and the company. Serving the customers to meet their demands has been our primary business goal for the last six decades of the company history and will continue to be so in the future.

Thank you for your keen interest in our products and visiting this website for further information on us.

6. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I had a great time and had a chance to meet everyone who attended from here. It was definitely an LED show. Some of the landscape lighting manufacturers where there: Unique, Kitchler, Focus, SPJ, and a lot of knockoff companies. I noticed some missing as well: Cast, Hadco, Nightscaping to name a few. Mostly it was interior and municipal type lighting. The few LEDs MR16 I saw from Ushio, Kumho, and one more but I can't remember the name, were much better than I expected in color rendition, and were very good if you want a 20 BAB. I feel they lacked lumen output if you wanted a 35w FMW for example. I'm sure they are just around the corner. They are relatively new although James said the Kumho was already tested in some jobs in canada. The cost of one of these babies is still around 35-40 buckeroos. GE is about 2 years away from having an LED. Definitely the Kumho was cooler, I was able to see it operate.

7. irrig8r

GE has LEDs out right now... just not an MR-16 equiv. I like the "plug and play" nature of their chips (no soldering necessary). Not sure if anyone is using them in outdoor fixtures yet, but the numbers look good.

http://www.lumination.com/product.php?id=56

Looks like very good possibilities for path and step lights at least.

8. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I am referring specifically to MR16 for replacements. Also I don't see a future in fixtures built around LEDs, LED integrated fixtures. Replacements are going to drive the market once they are a little more refined.

9. msouthard

msouthard LawnSite Member

Just fyi, I talked to the USHIO sales manager and the MR 16 LED will cost north of $60 to the contractor. I am not sure what the MR 16 that James is promoting will cost.

It was good seeing and meeting many of you at the show....James is right this show is really geared toward the engineers and lighting designers focused mostly on commercial business with residential being a minority. That is why you never see Nighscaping at this show and probably why Cast did not attend. I was suprised as well as Paul that Hadco was not there.

Mike Southard
    Kichler

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike, since you brought it up....

The MSRP on the Kumho Luxxo LED MR16 Lamp that I am behind is $55. I offer a significant NET discount off of that to any registered contractor, distributor or trade professional. I also can set up Lighting Manufacturers and OEMs with direct links to the parent company. (Maybe even Kichler would like a meeting?)

The new USHIO LED MR16 lamp does use the same Nichia LED "chips" that the Kumho does, however the Kumho product is available in more formats and optics. Also, the Kumho Luxxo Lamp is the only LED MR16 lamp on the market that can be powered with both magnetic and electronic transformers (The ET series). This makes it a remarkably versatile drop in replacement lamp.

Any more information about LED MR16s, PARs, or other lamp formats? Don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great day.